Author Topic: Arrow shafts  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Birdman

Arrow shafts
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:39:25 pm »
I live in southern Michigan and I am looking for a natural and prevalent shaft material (tree, plant, etc.).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Arrow shafts
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:53:13 pm »
Birdman, I am from nw penna so I,m thinking you should have some of these.
Multi flora rose
Red osier
Arrowood Viburnum   
Hope this helps an have fun on your arrow journey.   Bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 11:39:39 pm »
Look in wet or swampy areas for red osier. Easy to ID by its red stems. They are multi-stemmed shrubs and grow in colonies. Clip the shoots with small branches at the top. You want them about 3/8" at the base and 30" to 36" long. Carry a 3/8" open end wrench as a quick gauge.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 02:01:33 am »
When I was working in Indiana, red osier was growing beside ponds and streams EVERYWHERE.  But don't just look for a specific plant.  If you have access to wooded areas, any straight hardwood shoot can be made into an arrow.  I would first take a camera into the forest, snap some pictures of straight shoots, then post the pictures here, and then ask if it's good for arrows. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Birdman

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:44:28 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  This site is clearly visited by helpful and generous people.  I am grateful.  I will start my search today!  :)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 01:58:33 pm »
I generally stroll along water and woods,or town, and if I see a straight shoot,I cut it,debark it with the flat of my pocket knife and start straightening it as it dries.Set it on a table or something where I can pick it up several times a day and straighten it. 3 or 4 days later it is usually pretty dry and I will be down to straightening it maybe once or twice a day.At any one time I will have a few shafts sitting around drying. If after dry it seems a good sturdy shaft I will cut more of that type. Most of the time I can figure out what kinda plant or tree it is. I have cut dozens of species. Some ornimental plants and shrubs make great shoot shafts. Privet, lilac, etc.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 02:31:31 pm »
I'd just go on a walk and cut shoots that you think will make arrows and try them out...you may be surprised at what will work.