Author Topic: River Cane  (Read 2502 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
River Cane
« on: January 01, 2011, 02:28:40 pm »
Anyone know what type of cane this is?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: River Cane
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 03:47:18 pm »
Where are you collecting these, Jeff?   The culms look very round with little or no branch indentation(sulcus ?).  How long are the internodes(between the nodes)? Thick wall or thin?
  Generally for arrows if you cut the cane that are 3/8" at the bottom end you should be good. Cut them long and when they dry you can check the spine over the long cane to find the optimim for your arrows. A 3/8" open end wrench makes a good pocket gauge.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 04:06:30 pm »
Collecting them in South Mississippi. There is about 6 inches between the culms with few branches on the 6 foot plants. The walls are fairly thin, but the cane seams stiff.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 04:16:06 pm »
Sounds like either river cane(Arundaneria gigantia) or switch cane(A. tecta) both will make good arrows. Usually the nodes on river cane are more pronounced than on switch cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 04:22:31 pm »
Thanks Pat. I was thinking switch cane, but several of these species look so close.  Looks like I'm going home with some extra stuff ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 04:26:02 pm »
River cane can get to be 15' tall. Most switch cane gets to 6' mol

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 06:55:53 pm »
looks like the river cane i cut. did it have the brown sheaves or whatever they are called on it?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline HoBow

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 07:25:24 pm »
Yep- had the brown sheathes. Doesn't this mean they are second year growth ???
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 08:29:47 pm »
Generally by now the paper sheath from last years(not this past year) cane should be off. You will be able to tell if they are mature as they dry. If they get longatudal wrinkles. They will probably make arrows but will be flimsey.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 04:00:45 am »
Is it growing near salt or brackish water? The kind we have here in NW Florida that grows near the bays and bayous aint much good
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

JustinNC

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:22:13 am »
looks like what I cut yesterday