Author Topic: Collecting birch bark  (Read 2576 times)

Offline DuBois

Collecting birch bark
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:03:07 pm »
I want to gather some birch bark for bow backing/sinew cover.
There are some paper birch trees with a lot of loose bark peeling off in layers.

What is the best to use? The outer stuff OK or do I need to get down to the inner layers and cut into them?

White birch bark just as good?

Thanks in advance, Doobs

Offline adb

Re: Collecting birch bark
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 03:30:43 pm »
Whatever you decide to do, please don't kill the tree just to get some bark. I see that here where I live and it really pi$$e$ me off.

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 03:53:58 pm »
No need to kill trees, as what you are looking for is the thinner, outer bark anyway.

Even if you were to cut a big thick piece off the tree, the outer "paper" you are collecting is not any easier to remove than if you Just spent your time collecting  paper from live trees. Find a stand of similar, younger trees to collect from, as you will have to match thickness and color from many smaller pieces and an older tree tends to have knarlier bark.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 04:51:37 pm »
Whatever you decide to do, please don't kill the tree just to get some bark. I see that here where I live and it really pi$$e$ me off.
Don't worry, I hate killing trees I don't have to.  just wanted to take the old bark if possible or cut from a down tree.

Just got this here. Pretty short bits about 6-8" max.
Will this work?

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 05:10:24 pm »
You need to find a large tree with clean bark that is naturally breaking loose. The tree can even be recently dead.
 I prefer to use a single piece for each limb.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:14:24 pm by PatM »

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 08:39:22 pm »
OK Pat, Kinda figured this was not gonna work but had to ask. That is beautiful work there. Is it white birch?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 12:20:10 am »
So, if I found a freshly downed white birch tree n the 12" diameter range, would I cut around the tree n a barber pole spiral to get strips of bark?
Thanks folks,
Marco
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:30:34 am by DuBois »

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 02:35:08 am »
Simply use a good solid knife to scribe a couple of rings right around the tree, then scribe one line straight down to join the two and then peel away. You want strips that have come from the tree horizontally. The bigger the better. Of course it comes off when the sap is up.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 10:45:35 am »
Mike, We're trying to not kill trees just for a strip of bark. There is no need to go through all the layers right to the sap.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 02:46:18 pm »
Simply use a good solid knife to scribe a couple of rings right around the tree, then scribe one line straight down to join the two and then peel away. You want strips that have come from the tree horizontally. The bigger the better. Of course it comes off when the sap is up.

It is best to do just a vertical cut, the horizontal will come naturally with the cracking and peeling of the bark.  Not doing the horizontal also helps avoid cutting through the cambium and hurting the tree.  If you harvest just the outer bark and leave the cambium, the tree will keep on and simply grow back a scabbier outer bark to recover what you took.

We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline DuBois

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 05:18:14 pm »
WOW!
Thanks Isaac.
Man I miss green stuff  :'(

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 11:53:27 am »
WOW!
Thanks Isaac.
Man I miss green stuff  :'(

Thanks.  This was 3 summers ago when we had a near tropical summer of heat and wet.  The past two summers have been a bit drier.  I have not harvested bark the last couple years, but I need to check a few trees and maybe hit them this summer for making some wigwam mats.  Also, I need to scout around up north a little farther and find a good big tree or two now that I need a new canoe.

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold