Author Topic: raising poundage?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline larze_fat

raising poundage?
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:07:47 pm »
I have a hickory backed cherry bow thats 60 inches tip to tip, it curently is at 30 to 35 lbs, i was wondering how i could raise it up to the 50-55 lb range.

Offline Keenan

Re: raising poundage?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:22:04 pm »
What draw length are you drawing?  Sinew or piking the tips. If you sinew ,then you would have to re-tiller and possibly lose some of the gain.  But doubtfull that you would increase 20 lbs even if you pike it and sinew. Maybe best to past to someone needing a lighter bow and make your next bow ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 11:39:05 pm »
Either add another hickory backing or an ipe or osage belly and glue it up in reflex.   I increased a 60" static recurve from 47#@26" to 55#@26" by adding a thin(1/8" to 0 taper in 18") argentine osage scrap that David Knight gave me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline larze_fat

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 12:08:15 am »
i pull about 27 inches, im only 5'7'' ifthat makes a diffrent.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:50:40 am »
I tried backing a bow with linen flax to raise the poundage a little. Maybe I didn't apply it properly, I don't know, but that did nothing for increasing poundage.  ??? I thought I read somewhere that it would increase poundage, but I have been wrong before.
Rockford, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 12:31:55 pm »
Your best off to start over from scratch. That kind of draw weight/length out of a bow with a cherry belly is just asking for trouble. Cherry is not that great in compression. It will almost certainly fret under that sort of stress.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....