Author Topic: first arrow bamboo & stone  (Read 3087 times)

Offline sander

first arrow bamboo & stone
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:40:49 am »
Finally got my first done.  Well not counting that goldenrod shaft and mud head I stunned
a bird with out of my treehouse at 20 paces when I was a kid.  The bird ended up flying away.
Knapped the point out of onondaga chert found some local bamboo and used sinew to tie
turkey feathers on and point along with hide glue.  Rubbed the shaft with a decomposing
walnut husk for some camo Arrow 800 grains good enough for a buffalo I figure.  Flew straight
and hit my foam target hard.  Need to try to shorten my fletching area up on the next one as
the feathers rest on my rest before being drawn.  Happy with it and no trouble with the shallow
nock.

Offline sander

Re: first arrow bamboo & stone
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 03:49:29 am »
heres some photos

Offline sander

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:57:16 am »
When I resized cut some of arrow off and you cant tell but its a three fletch.

Offline Boofus

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:35:25 am »
nice arrow! i like the point. you could always move the fletching back a little bit so that your feathers don't touch your bow, it looks like you got some room to play with. Gotta love that bamboo! They make some tough, tough arrows huh?! Thanks for sharing!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 06:20:47 pm »

Nice! 8)  Like Boofus said, you can move the fletching back some.  Nice arrowhead. 8)  Should do the job! ;)

Wayne

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 10:25:34 pm »
Looks like a serious shooter. Nice !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline sander

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 01:34:06 am »
Thanks boofus stick and sparrow good to hear from you.  Going to leave the fletching alone
not too hard to lift arrow with my finger when shooting to clear the rest.  Save some sinew
that way for the next one will make some changes for sure.  Before I decided to tie the feathers
down with sinew I was going to glue them down with hide glue it wasnt sticking well on the
bamboo I had lightly sanded the bamboo but maybe not enough?  By the way when I was a
kid it was a 15 pound bow didnt think I had a chance to really hit it and I was glad when it flew
away. 

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 02:33:23 am »
definitely need to roughin up the area of bamboo your gonna use glue on.  has a natural finish on it.  with my fletchings, i put them just forward of my fingers on the string with a shooting glove on. 

so on your next arrow, put the shaft, with nock cut, on the bowstring, put your fingers on like your gonna shoot it, and see what you have to work with on feather placement. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline sander

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 01:40:13 am »
Thanks Aero yes that is how I need to do it and see how big my brace height is.