Author Topic: Japanese arrow boo  (Read 2487 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Japanese arrow boo
« on: December 02, 2010, 06:01:36 pm »
How bad does this stuff spread?  The reason I ask is I stumbled on a big patch of it today and am considering possibly transplanting some.  Of course, since I know where to find it I may be just as well to go there if I need more, but the idea of walking out my back door to cut arrow shafts is appealing.  I'm a typical suburbanite with 0.6 acres of land, and I don't want it to spread all over my neighbor's land (well, maybe if he doesn't make his dog shut the hell up), but I do have an area across the back property line that was an old fence row and is kind of a waste area now.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Japanese arrow boo
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:58:06 pm »
How big was the patch you found. It will spread at least that much!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 09:40:54 am »
 ;D Good point, Pat.  I wonder how long it took to get that big?  I'll probably just go there and cut some culms every-once-in-a-while, but it would be nice not to have to climb through a dang briar thicket to cut them.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 01:08:36 pm »
 I just killed all mine with Round-Up. It was sending runners up everywhere. I hope the ones make it that are coming up in my neighbors yard, now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 02:57:15 pm »
I just killed all mine with Round-Up. It was sending runners up everywhere. I hope the ones make it that are coming up in my neighbors yard, now.

Doesn't sound like it'll be worth it at all.  Oh well, the place I found them is pretty secluded so I can slip in there a few times a year to cut culms.
Cleveland, NC

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 09:30:02 am »
You could alway just deignate an area just for it. Make enough room around the boo to mow a few feet on all sides....Just a thought.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 03:05:03 pm »
hillbilly, mine were sending up shoots twenty feet from the clump. And the clump was surrounded on four sides by concrete.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 03:56:07 pm »
Don't plant any boo unless you are prepared to deal with it taking over for a long time.  If you know where some is already planted, use that. It is a renewal resourse so use that as a selling point to get permission to harvest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 07:12:30 pm »
hillbilly, mine were sending up shoots twenty feet from the clump. And the clump was surrounded on four sides by concrete.

See. I learn somthing new every day ;) Ok. Ok. Then I'd plant it in the middle of the yard ::) Never mind. I don't know if I'd have a yard that big to controll it :-\ Besides. I really hate to mow ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 10:37:20 pm »

Cut the Briars..... ;)  Plant some other pants to screen the boo. ;D

Wayne