Author Topic: Saskatoon help  (Read 1309 times)

landman

Saskatoon help
« on: November 16, 2010, 10:19:39 pm »
Hello All,
I have been lurking on here for quite some time.  Feeling motivated by all the incredible bows you guys are building I spent last sunday in the woods looking for suitable saskatoon bushes which seems to be what the Natives used up here in Alberta.  I managed to find three four inch trees and one sapling.  I peeled the bark off of the sapling and one of the trees and was promptly sent out of town for work.  I returned home today to find the sapling split in several places and destined for firewood, and the other starting to split at a knot.  I promptly roughed it down to almost a bow shape and sealed the back and ends with wax, hopefully it will survive.  I had no idea that wood could check that quickly!  Question is what should I do with the other two - they have not been split or worked at all, the bark is still on, and the ends have been sealed with wax.  Can they stay this way or should I rough them out as well, or at the least split them?  Thanks for any advice, I obviously need all I can get!
Cheers,
Brock

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Saskatoon help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:29:46 pm »
Brock, I would at least split them in half to give the moisture somewhere to escape. Leave the bark on for now. When you do remove the bark, seal the back.  Saskatoon is a service berry (Amelanchier alnifolia) and should make a good bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

landman

Re: Saskatoon help
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:40:59 am »
will do.
Thanks.