Author Topic: small wooden billets  (Read 2046 times)

JustinNC

small wooden billets
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:33:58 am »
Wooden billets the same size as what you'd typically use a whitetail billet for? Yay or nay? Anybody use em? 

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: small wooden billets
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:41:53 am »
I've never used wooden billets but did witness them being used once at the Classic by the Parker clan  ;D - Steve and James (Hillbilly and Robustus). From what I recall dogwood was the best and they were in the neighborhood of around a foot and a half long and resembled a small baseball bat..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:22:04 pm »
Nah I know about them Cowboy....and the Parkers that use them...Im talking small 3-4"ish about the size or a quarter or so....comparable in size to a whitetail antler billet.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 06:00:37 pm »
 I've seen small ones the size of moose billets. You've got a box on the way you won't need fence post to pound on. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 10:02:48 pm »
I've seen small ones the size of moose billets. You've got a box on the way you won't need fence post to pound on. ;)

Although though Im looking forward to any real rock...I might lose any street cred I build as an NC boy with Joe, and the two NC Parkers, if I beat on that stuff  ;D I just wont show off any points I may or may not get out of it  ::)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 10:22:31 pm »
 Well the two hill cousins drool everytime I bring good rock that way. They hide it in the bottom of their bucket and sneak it home. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:32:22 am »
my smallets billet is about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter.  and about 16 inches long. larger one up to about 4-5 inches in diameter.  dogwood and persimmon are best woods.  Osage is heavy but it falls apart due to the large softer layers between the hard layers. It will work tho just falls apart sooner.

Offline sonny

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 12:33:07 pm »
you'd have very little mass with a small wooden billet.
Not that I do any knapping but I do understand that you need
a bit of mass to produce the energy to remove decent sized flakes.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

JustinNC

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 08:45:26 pm »
No doubt Im in the market for a moose billet now that I have used one