Author Topic: Quick way to get a headache  (Read 2292 times)

Offline NTD

Quick way to get a headache
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:16:08 am »
I bought a used Craftsman 4 1/8" jointer a few weeks back.  It desperately needed new blades and just my luck neither of the 2 Sears in my town carried the knives.  So I ordered a pair online.  They got here today and I have now found out the "joy" of setting Jointer Knives.  What a friggin headache.  I've searched online and it seems everyone has a different theory on how to do it.  Anyone here have any "easy" foolproof methods? 
Nate Danforth

Offline Badger

Re: Quick way to get a headache
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 03:30:03 am »
   Been many years but if I remember right I used a square clamped to the fence and then lined them up to the square. I think my other one the blades just bottomed out and tightened down. Never used it too much so never really became much of an expert with it. I do plan to get another one though. Be careful with this tool, more people loose fingers on it than any other tool I know. Steve

brian melton

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 12:25:15 am »
I can atest to that..... :-[

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:24:26 am »
I have a magnetized jig to set my Griz jointer blades but it doesn't work any better than eyeballing them. I finally gave up and decided if they cut that was OK, chatter and all. I don't do precision cuts with my jointer, just stock removal and bamboo thinning, finish upon a belt sander.

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:00:47 am »
That's discouraging.  I bought it hoping to use it to taper blanks for laminate bows.  It cuts without chatter but I can't get a level cut.  I may jvst sell it and put the money towards a thickness sander.
Nate Danforth