Author Topic: Ben Lilly  (Read 2317 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Ben Lilly
« on: October 22, 2010, 01:21:05 pm »
Anyone ever heard of him? Im dong my dia de la muertos (day of the dead) project on him for my spanish class. pretty interesting character. now, of course, there is no way of knowing how much of what i read about him is true, but still, true or not, the dude BEGAN his wild years at 55 or so, so he was one tough ole coot.  ;D just found him and his story to be interesting, wondering if anyone els did.
lets just shoot it

Offline Parnell

Re: Ben Lilly
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 02:36:20 pm »
Never heard of him.  I've been reading the summaries though, since you posted this.  I don't know how I feel about the guy.  Feral and an anachronism seem to be the right words, and I don't know that I admire him, but he sure is an interesting character.  Guess he was definitely in-line with the policies of the government at the time.  A shame though, really, the wastefulness, that is.  Different times, though.
The guy should have had a different death.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 03:14:07 pm by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:51:46 pm »
yes, his policies and hunting style, ect is terrible by our standards, but it was a different time with different standards, and in his time what he did was seen as perfectly acceptable.

still one heck of a fella.
lets just shoot it

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:39:54 pm »
I read quite a bit of stuff about him years ago, One tuff ole dog hunter is about all that I remember. Bob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 11:49:07 am »
I'd say most of what you read about him is fairly true. He was an amazing guy, used to be quite a few old characters like that around here but they're pretty much gone on now. I've always enjoyed reading about his life and adventures.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 02:41:03 pm »
same here hillbilly. todays tough old fellers usually dont hold a candle to their historic counterparts. the guy could do stuff i could never dream of being capable of, and for that he has my respect.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 07:00:40 pm »
Some of the stuff those guys did on a day-to-day basis, many of us would consider to be impossible. Do some reading on John Muir, too (especially his early years.) I think you'll be impressed.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.