Author Topic: Sourwood "log"  (Read 1852 times)

JustinNC

Sourwood "log"
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:56:24 pm »
Well here is my first "primitive" arrow. I say "primitive" because I had to improvise since I didn't have pitch glue, used a trade point, and didnt haft with sinew.

Shaft is a sourwood shoot I cut a coupe weeks months ago that is way over spined for my setup. No finish or sealant, as A I didnt think about it, and B I knew this was a log of a shaft and going to be overspine. I just wanted to see how well I could make an arrow.

Point is a tradepoint I cut out of band saw blade from a sawmill. I have 1/2doz of these, but think Im going to cut out some "pappy" style heads until my knapping skills improve.

Hafted with size A nylon rod wrapping thread......feathers tied on with same stuff, and a shot of hot glue in place of pitch glue.

Had some turkey feathers donated to me from a fellow off of another site, with a promise that I would send him photos of the finished product. Very nice gentleman.

Got some rivercane drying Im waiting to spend the rest of my feathers on, unless I can procure some more from somewhere for a dirtcheap/free price.

This was a trial run more or less. I may cut the feathers off and salvage them for another arrow.

I learned a couple things, which is good and bad. The biggest thing being, heat, heat, heat the arrow. I was scared of burning or scorching it, but found out it takes way more heat than I realized to soften it enough to bend. Broke a choice sourwood shaft by not using enough heat, so thus had me using something other than my good stuff to practice on.

Here they are.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 09:02:01 pm by JustinNC »

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Re: Sourwood "log"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:53:36 am »
Looks like you've got the main idea down just fine. You might want to wrap clear past the front of those feathers though. A little bit of feather sticking out can rip a whole lot of knuckle( I am experienced in this! The knuckle ripping that is. )
Great job on that one. Make more!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 10:01:32 am »
Yep, do your feathers the same as wrapping an eye on a rod.  Just like those eyes the thinner you can get it the easier it'll be.

Oh yeah, the arrow looks good.  Like I said, don't worry about the spine, just build a bigger bow.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 10:41:06 am »
You are definately off to a good start with this sourwood "log" arrow. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 11:25:37 am »
Thanks. Yeah I rushed the at the end of those feathers. If this had been something I'd shoot regular I'd have tapered the tips of the feathers and wrapped down them.

Jonathan, the bigger bow will come with time I suppose.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 12:22:44 pm »
very nice arrow  8)
nothing wrong with that at all

you could sand the shaft to reduce spine,or put on a heavier head
or shoot it from a center shot bow,they arent as sensitive to spine as other styles
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd