Author Topic: Help with Laburnum  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Stefan

Help with Laburnum
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:57:07 am »
Hello Primitive Archers,

I was inspired by this topic http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,16446.0.html, So when it got the chance to get my hands on some laburnum I jumped right on it. It only cost me €5 ($7), the guy I got it from cuts trees for a living, he will alert me when he gets to cut down other bowwoods such as yew  ;D

I want to make a 2 piece take down, 66 or 68'' nock to nock, 45/50# at 27,5'' similair to the bow in the topic.

What would be te next step in turning the logs in to bows? I know that laburnum is toxic and it is best te leave te bark on, from a little test I found that it splits quity easily using a axe. The wood is harvest today and I am going to seal the ends right after this post. Should I split the wood to make it dry faster? If not wat period of time would you recommend to dry a 7''diameter log? What would be a good heartwood/sapwood ratio? Should I even chase a ring (never done that before) or just scrape the bark of when its dried?

Aditional tips are very welcome, and please excuse my english,

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Stefan

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:56:27 am by Stefan »
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Help with Laburnum
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 02:39:20 pm »
They are handsome logs, I have a small piece, but I've not used it yet, I just split it and sealed the ends, unfor tunately it had a lot of twist.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.