Author Topic: Sad news  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Hardawaypoints

Sad news
« on: October 09, 2010, 04:35:18 pm »
Rob Hogan, who was kind enough to let us hold the 2010 N.C. Knap-In on his property passed away yesterday morning from injuries he sustained from a fall off his tractor suffered the day before the knap-in as he was getting up hay (September 16th, 2010).  He had been in intensive care at UNC Hospital since that day.  Rob just had his 54th birthday on Tuesday 10-5-10.  He was a kind, thoughtful, friendly, and good guy.  When we were looking for a new site to hold our Knap-In it took him about 10 seconds to agree to let us have it on his farm.

I haven't decided yet exactly what to do for his family.  I was assembling a "Thank you" frame of arrowheads as a gift for letting us use the land for our event. I welcome any suggestions or ideas.

He was really looking forward to attending this year's knap-in, as he had a great time at the first one we held in Burlington 3 years ago.  Rob enjoyed deer hunting, fishing, and arrowhead hunting in his time away from running his farm. The World is not a better place today.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Sad news
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 06:41:34 pm »
Well my condolances I didnt know the man personally but I look at this as being another fallen brother in the primitive arts.  If I can help in any way please let me know! 

Take care,

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline RickB

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:00:49 pm »
Jim, I'm saddened by the news of Rob Hogan's passing. I never met the man but appreciated the fact that he provided a place for the NC Knap-in which my wife and I attended and camped at. Condolences to his family. Rick B

Lombard

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:36:47 pm »
That is some heartbreaking news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 11:29:04 am »
Sorry to hear this, Jim.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 06:45:48 pm »
I send my condolence's and wish the family the best wishes. People like Mr Hogan are rare breed and a Gem to man.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 10:54:08 pm »
 I'm sorry to hear this, I was hoping to make one of them in the future.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline piper

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 07:32:17 am »
   Jim ...this is sad news it look like he had a nice farm and too Young to pass a way....my condolence's to the family...Curt
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 08:15:51 pm »
Tomorrow is the memorial service.  I spoke with Rob's cousin, Don and he seems to think that Ann (Rob's wife) will want the Knap-In to carry on.  I'll know more later.  I am putting together a frame of points to give to Ann & the boys.  I was going to give it to Rob as a thank you for letting us have the Knap-In on his property.  If anyone wants to contribute a point,  please PM me and I'll wait to get it before i assemble the frame.

Jim

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 10:24:42 am »
I'm really sorry to hear this Jim. I never met him but it sounds like he was a great guy that will be missed by a lot of people.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 04:41:04 pm »
I went to the memorial service for Rob yesterday held at the UNC Alumni building.  It was clear that a LOT of people loved him and he'd made a positive impact on many people's lives.  His cousin, Don put an ancient arrowhead in with Rob's ashes when they were interred. I knew Rob would have approved.

I also spoke with Rob's eldest son Daniel, who seems to be handling things well.  I will stop by the farm sometime in the next couple of weeks once the family & friends have cleared out some. They intend to keep on as they were, best they can.

Jim

Offline david w.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 12:59:31 am »
He is in my prayers
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo