Author Topic: finding stone  (Read 3597 times)

paganwannbe

finding stone
« on: September 03, 2010, 07:01:57 pm »
does anyone here know of any knapping stone in  north east part of Virginia beach VA or that  general area

Offline arappaho

Re: finding stone
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 11:38:18 pm »
I know a die-hard rockhound that lives in Virginia Beach. Whenever Virginia DOT brings in a load
or rock to support a bridge or bank, he's out there going thru it! :) I'm amazed at what he finds.

But I think that's about it, whatever has been brought in or washed down and deposited by the river.
Don't know for sure, but would guess you have to get in atleast as far as I-95 before you could
start finding anything. Dinwiddie or Prince George counties. I've seen some real pretty chert
that was found along the James River around Richmond.
Joe

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 12:57:55 am »
A good tool to use is Google earth and u can highlight every chert layer in the U.S. and IT WORKS!  Ive found almost every formation here in NY including Normanskill Esopus and Onondaga, amongst some other not so famous silicified shales. like snakehill chert, cherry valley chert huronian,  big chunks of quartz, so on...its free down load it if u need help Paleoplanets got the overlay maps...

AncientArcher
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline arappaho

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:18:30 am »
No way, AA! Never heard of that! I'm going to have to check that out!
Thanks for the heads-up,
Joe

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 03:06:16 am »
ok man walk us old folk threw this . you down load the the two files then open up goggle earth then open the files?

Offline arappaho

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 10:19:56 am »
I can't find it either, andy.
Any help or clues for us computer challenged would be appreciated, AA. :)
I don't mind doing it the old fashioned way, with books, but I am really curious
what this 'overlay' looks like.
Joe

Offline StevenT

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:25:40 pm »
I would like to see a "How to" on this myself!

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 02:10:13 pm »
http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geology/state/

Go to this site. It's the United States Geological survey site. Select the state you want, then look for

Show in Google Earth or download KML: ( I was using tx as an example for Virginia it'll look like vageol.kmz or kml)
txgeol.kml (86.4M bytes)
txgeol.kmz (26.5M bytes)

I had better luck with the .kmz file. Next open google earth, then open the file you downloaded. Make sure to give it some time. I had to click on the file then walk away while it loaded. Once it loads one time you will be good. Just make sure when you go to close google earth it'll prompt you to save the file in my places. Do this so it'll come up easier next time.

To bring up or close the overlay go to Places along the left side of google earth and look under my places and it should be there. There is also a slide bar that will allow you to dim the overlay so you can see the terrain behind it. Hope this helps. Mike

P.S. not trying to steal a thread, just help. Cause this is way cool.
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Offline Mike_A

• Mike Ailstock Gatesville, TX
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 09:20:39 pm »
Now I have a question. Which rock types would I look into to find rock? Man why can't they make it easy and just say flint knappers go here for good rock? Not that I'm a good knapper, but I could probly start up my own gravel quarry. LOL. Have a good one. Mike
Proud member of PETA ( People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Offline arappaho

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:54:30 pm »
Thanks for the info, Mike. I'm going to give it a try. ::) :P

Your question is a hard one to answer because there are probably so many.
It might make a difference what state or area you are searching and how
geologically specific the overlays are.
For example, most knappable rock is called "flint", but there is very little "true" flint
in the states, (allthough I've heard there's some in Ohio  ;)).
Just for starters, I would say for east of the Mississippi it's chert, agate, rhyolite, and quartzite.
Florida is another story.
Out west you have obsidian and jasper to add to the mix.

I don't know if that helps you any.
I'm going to give those overlays a try.
Thanks again,  Joe

paganwannbe

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 10:18:28 pm »
it might seem a little late but thanks fro the info first week back kind got me on the butt with cleaning the house