Author Topic: Rasps  (Read 5808 times)

Offline dmassphoto

Rasps
« on: May 21, 2010, 05:28:09 pm »
Are there different types of rasps out there?  Are some designed to cut deeper than others?

I almost bought one at Lowes the other day for around $10, but wasn't sure if it was the same type that I used on my bow at the Classic.  The one at the Classic seemed to cut less, for lack of a better word.  I personally like the rasps that are flat on one side and rounded on the other.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rasps
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 05:37:33 pm »
You probably used a Nicholson #49 or #50 at the Classic. I believe Gary has both. They are about $50 but well worth the money. Some folks like Dean Torges' version but I too prefer flat and rounded sides on a rasp and Dean's is flat on both sides.
   I started out with a 4 in 1 rasp(coarse and fine/flat and round) and a large wood rasp I got at a flea market. My Nicholson #49 developed legs a few years ago. A farriers rasp is an excellent bow making tool. If you know a farrier you can get one of his old ones for free usually or a very small cost. I think a new farriers rasp is $15 to $20 each.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:37:49 am »
Grizzly tools also has a nice one that's a little more aggressive than a Nicholson 49 or 50, but cuts much smoother than any you'll find at Lowe's.  As an added bonus it's only about $12.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline oneeye

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 03:49:35 pm »
Jamestown Distributors has sales on the nicholson #49 and#50 every now and then. I got a couple of them for $25ea a while ago.   Scott

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:04:48 am »
Also available at Jantz Supply. Prices have gone up to 43.95 and 52.95 though.

Offline wundabred

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 04:57:04 am »
farrier's rasp from 3 rivers, cheap and one of the best bowmaking tools you can have