Author Topic: Floor tillering ????  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Floor tillering ????
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:37:51 pm »
When your floor tillering, how much bend do you want before it is ok to put on the tiller tree with a long string to get a better look at things? Thanks Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline profsaffel

Re: Floor tillering ????
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 08:44:32 pm »
I don't think it's so much a matter of getting so much bend, but you are wanting even bend, both between one limb and the other, and the general circle curve from tip to handle. You shouldn't get a lot of "distance bend" during floor tillering before you put a long string on it.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:04:33 pm »
Ok im getting about 5" bend in both limbs with the same amount of pressure roughly but this stave has some character so its hard to tell if the bend is even when looking toward the ground. thanks though
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:04:35 pm »
I try to get both limbs bending evenly and without any obvious flat spots.  I shoot for about 20# over intended draw weight when I finish the floor tiller stage.  This is an only an estimate, since you really can't scale it while floor tillering. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:50:19 pm »
I usually look to see wood working through the limb with about I'd say about 25# of force being applied.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:50:42 pm »
I usually go with about 4" of tip movement with floor tillering but it's not the amount of bend like the Prof said it is the quality of the bend. I'm trying to get both limbs bending evenly and together and about the same amount of resistance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 05:23:20 am »
Ok im getting about 5" bend in both limbs with the same amount of pressure roughly but this stave has some character so its hard to tell if the bend is even when looking toward the ground. thanks though
Blimey, you should have got it on the tiller last week :o.
I try to get it on the tiller ASAP, once it's flexing at all. Even my 'long string' is shortenned so that it will only just get on the bow.
Sooner is better than later, it's easy to end up with too little poundage. The string adds a lot of leverage, so what feels stiff on the floor can be much weaker on the string.
JMO of course.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 06:29:30 am »
Just like Del said,bending even and on to tiller,sooner rather than later.  :) My long string is also just long enough to fit the bow.  :) I rarely every miss weight doing it this way.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:43:54 pm »
Yes, it is ok and there are buildalongs on my site showing how I use the long string. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!