Author Topic: Boiling splices  (Read 2702 times)

Offline NTD

Boiling splices
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:53:31 am »
When boiling splices how long do I need to boil them for(osage)?  Should I avoid heating the rest of the wood as much as possible?  Any specific do's or don'ts? 

Also does anyone pin their splices like Strunk explains in TBB1?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:15:39 am by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

Re: Boiling splices
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:46:35 am »
Well, I was kind of wanting to do this tonight so I decided I'd just try soaking the wood for 15 minutes, per TBB1 advice and I clamped them together and they fit nice and snug now. 
Nate Danforth

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:40:08 am »
Hi Nate,  I'm just guessing, but ~15 min should do it. ;)
I've heard that heating wood too long, or repeatedly heating it can make the wood brittle.  So, I've always tried to restrict my heating to the area I want to correct, bend, reflex, etc.
I'm glad the splice worked for you.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 01:31:29 pm »
when i splice osage i never boil it  just rub some veg  oil on  heat with ur heat gun  dry heat works very  well with osage  not half the time and mess as  boiling it brock

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 03:33:58 pm »
You ever have trouble with the splices coming apart after gluing if you oil the wood. I do the same without oil.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 05:33:56 pm »
Depending on the thickness of the osage, I usually steam about 30 minutes.

Eric, you should be degreasing osage before gluing anyway. Degreasing should take care of the oil in the wood and the oil you added.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 05:34:23 pm »
eric never had a plm yet never had one come apart but i do wipe em down with acetone very well befor i glue  brock

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 10:48:49 am »
I used to degrease osage religiously. I stopped one day when I read a Dean Torges statement that he thought freshly cut osage didn't need to be degreased. I have found this to be true, at least if you use Urac-185 for glue as I do.

To date I have spliced about 50 pairs of billets into bow staves without degreasing, always added a piece to the back of the handle to give me more to work with and never had a failure. All the splices were freshly cut.

I have made 20 or more BBOs with no degresing of the osage core or bamboo backing, no failures.

I have never oiled a piece of wood to heat bend it either and don't remember the last osage stave I worked that didn't need some heat gun correction, all of mine do, no exceptions.

Lots of old wives tales out there about what you have to do to when making a wood bow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 11:11:52 am »
I never oil Osage either,I do on most white wood if they need much heating. I have only done a few splices, 3 or 4 never had the need,got plenty of full staves but the ones I did ,I didn't do anything but cut the splice and glue it up.  :) Guess I got lucky.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 11:59:18 am »
A heat gun with no oil is what I do.  Only takes a minute
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada