Author Topic: cherokee bows  (Read 2968 times)

Offline walkabout

cherokee bows
« on: August 15, 2010, 05:54:25 pm »
does anyone have a picture or a link to pictures of the cherokee eastern woodlands bows? i had them some time ago but for the life of me cant find them, and my next bow is going to replicate one as close as i can get. thanks for any help in advance.

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

Re: cherokee bows
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 06:22:20 pm »
Im actually starting on one I hope I can finish it this week but im kinda busy. Anyway I got some ideas from these, bows from museum, vey good pics, close up and detailed, heres the link. there are many more designs, here you go.

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/29624
Cesar
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline walkabout

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 06:43:20 pm »
very cool thanks for posting that link i had seen that one awhile back but hadnt bookmarked it. looking forward to seeing your post of yours.

Offline gmc

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 06:57:00 pm »
To be quite honest, if you look at "bow of the month" back in June, that is pretty darn close. It's a black locust held straight through the handle, little tapper, bendy handle. The nocks are also in line with what's been documented. Simple answer, but there you go.

gmc
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:01:02 pm by gmc »
Central Kentucky

Offline walkabout

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 07:03:04 pm »
thanks for the info, that bow is definitly close to what i want to build.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:20:55 pm »
That's Alan Shook's bow(woodland roamer) and he brought it to the camp-o-rama. It is a very cool but simple bow. One of my favorite styles. Alan has a yucca fiber string on that bow too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline walkabout

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 07:48:52 pm »
i definitly want to replicate that style of bow, but its going to take some thought as to laying it out on this stave, which is rather snaky and has some twist. im going to use the method of splitting the diference in widths in half lengths to do it i think.

half eye

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 11:53:49 pm »
Found a pic of a cherokee bow....dont remember where it came from, but one of the published "books" on the subject. hope it helps with your project.
rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline walkabout

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 05:50:08 pm »
thanks for posting that. i started roughing the stave out yesterday, and still have to get the taper marked out on the stave as its fairly snaky grain. should get somewhere within the next few days.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 06:26:12 pm »
Great pics from one Ancient Archer to the next!!!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill