Author Topic: Im new hee some questions :)  (Read 2210 times)

Offline volarion

Im new hee some questions :)
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:11:42 am »
hello I have been lurking and reading posts fo about  week now and I am going to try to start making my own bows :) I was wondering if I could make a good bow in a pyramid bow style with cable backing and raised struts near the tips (roughly similar to orcbows design (anyone have a schematic for that thing btw???)) and was also wondering if I could do it with the black walnut and maple wood I have piles of (maybe a laminate of the 2) I also have pine but could get other wood as needed any ideas how I would go about doing this??? also how hard this would be for a first timer to do???

Offline walkabout

Re: Im new hee some questions :)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:16:24 am »
not sure about that design but maple will make a decent bow, pine is definitly not choice bow wood, and black walnut can be done.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:20:39 am »
If you are new to building bows, skip the cable backing and all the foofoo stuff and concentrate on the most critical skill...tillering.  The pyramid bow is a great place to start because tillering on it is not too difficult and you will still do some learning.  Maple pyramid bow, ought be a fast little dart slinger.

Start with 2" wide at the fadeouts and go down to a bit less than 1/2 inch tips.  That oughta be good and safe, yet functional.  And save the shavings...dry maple makes great firestarter, almost as good as osage shavings.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:22:48 am »
For a first timer I'd suggest you first read all of George Tsoukalas' website! After that start making a bow that will help you learn to tiller a bow correctly. After you have accomplished this you can build any style bow you like. Until then you will have a hard time achieving the orcbow you want to build.
  IMO!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline volarion

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 01:23:09 am »
only 2"??? why so small wouldnt a bit large make it have more power or am I reading into this wrong (my bowyers bibles dont get in till nex week)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 01:27:36 am »
2 wide oughta be plenty.  And I gotta echo Pat B's advice sending you to go see George's site.  The man is a wealth of information!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

half eye

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 01:34:58 am »
Ya cant go wrong listening to these guys, and of your wood choices (maple...walnut) either will make a really good bow as will walnut backed maple. I recently made a little Chippewa single scalloped "d" bow from black walnut, it's 50" draws 27 and has a weight of better than 60#....results are equal for maple self bows...and the walnut backed maple. They are good bow woods.
rich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 01:36:47 am »
Look at the top of the "How To" section for George's site!

2" is plenty for a pyramid bow but you can build it wider if preferred.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline volarion

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 01:36:54 am »
also how do you determine the length of a bowstave your making for yourself???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 01:39:08 am »
Double your draw length and add 10% to 20% for the bow length. 20% for a newby!  ;D

Offline volarion

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 01:40:51 am »
thank you any and all advise is greatly appreciated and when Im done  I WILL post pictures (may take a while Im only in town every other week

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 11:11:36 am »
4est trekker is the man to talk to for the pyramid bow.He has a great build along and is a very nice guy.
 Keep posting and guys here will keep you pointed in the right direction.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3