Author Topic: Documenting snakeskin backing  (Read 5946 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Documenting snakeskin backing
« on: August 07, 2010, 06:58:29 pm »
Has anyone seen documentation of original Native American bows with a snakeskin backing of ANY kind?  And if so, what collection is the bow in?

For that matter, any with rawhide backing?

Please don't take this as being confrontational or as me trying to argue that they don't exist.  I'm into historical re-enacting and my bow building habit is moving towards doing functional museum quality replicas...and that means I gotta provide documentation to the people looking at my stuff.  In the books I've read and the collections I have looked thru I have yet to see either rawhide or snakeskins on a bow back. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Re: Documenting snakeskin backing
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 07:25:41 pm »
Tbb vol3 page121 item c. Sinew backed bow covered with garter snake.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline comebackshane

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:47:49 pm »
This might be the same bow. In Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows and Quivers Vol 2 there is a Blackfoot bow, sinew backed with western garter snake skin.  It's in the Field Museum in Chicago.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:39:05 am »
I believe there have been only a few snake skin backed bows found or donated over the years. I don't think it was a common practice but it was done. I don't remember seeing any rawhide backed bows but I don't doubt they used it. I've seen rawhide wraps used for decoration or handles. The primitive people knew the value and purposes of all raw materials and used them when needed as needed. If a splinter began to lift of Og's bow, I'd almost bet he would use a rawhide wrap or covering for the limbs...but no real documentation.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

half eye

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 01:13:17 am »
JW,
    Dont know about the snakeskin thing, but the Innuit used rawhide backing....sort of. Several of their cable backed bows incorporated rawhide, the width of the limbs and nearly the length of the bow, and while it was not glued down it was securely fixed with the sinew or cordage cables and brace lines.....but it could of been to keep the bow and cables from rubbing on each other so dont know if that counts or not.
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 05:32:46 pm »
Well, there's another reason to get the second volume of the Encyclopedia. 

I was also familiar with the Inuit cable backing and the use of rawhide on portions of their back, but that's not really the same as laying down a contigous rawhide backing the length of the limb.  If anyone else has documentation or has seen another example in a museum somewhere, please let me know.  I want to have as much evidence as I can gather.

Unfortunately, conjecturing about Og's bow will have to stay in just that file, pure conjecture.  The "thread counters" that I encounter only accept documentation and provenance. 

Meanwhile I shoot my sinew and prairie rattler backed osage with glee and a glimmer in my eye.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:02:25 pm »
There is a bow in the Museum of Civilization in Hull, Quebec that is backed with Snakeskin.  I can't tell you which tribe the bow belonged to as I don't remember and I didn't take a picture of the plate describing the bow but I did take a picture of the bow.  The bow is the one on the left with the deflexed tips, I know it's hard to see but it does have a snakeskin backing

[attachment deleted by admin]
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 11:14:37 pm »
Excellent!  Thank you Marc.  Now I can contact the curatorial staff and ask them for details.

Keep 'em coming folks!

half eye

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 02:40:08 pm »
JW,
     Page 9 in the book "North American Bows, Arrows, and Quivers (Otis Tufton Mason) paragraph 4.....Tufton quoting Baegert and Coville (1893) as follows......
     "The bow of the Chemehuevis (Shoshonean) is characteristic of the stock to which they belong, being of hardwood common in the region, elegantly backed with sinew and bound with shredded sinew, ornamented also at the ends by the skin or rattle of the Rattlesnake.* The type belongs to the stock everywhere."
       * the footnote reads: Whipple, etc., Pac.R.R.Rep., vol. III, p. 32, pl.41, bow and quiver.
rich
PS: Tufton Mason was with the Smithsonian Institution in the late 1800's

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 05:00:22 pm »
Marc when was that photo taken? i may try to go see it sometime, maybe take a few pics
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 05:56:02 pm »
I took that picture about 4 years ago
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 06:12:29 pm »
ohhh jee, i think they will still have it, but maybe not
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 07:25:03 pm »
Thanks, half eye.  I'm not familiar with that book, so I'll have to go shopping for a copy.