Author Topic: cabin build, new pictures up  (Read 10273 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Re: cabin build, new pictures up
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 08:22:06 am »
That's just awesome!  A log house has always been my dream home.  I love seeing them, especially those put together with your own two hands.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 11:12:42 am »
Thanks very much guys

TBod-  yea its pretty dry here, we are close the divide in montana and its breaks and badlands to the east and snowy, rocky mountains to the west.
the logs themselves dont touch ground at all, its all on stone footers and walls but the floor will touch..but i am gonna cheat a little bit too, i am gonna use pressure treated lumber for the floor trusses, PT lumber lasts for ever out here. lots of people out this way use regular pine lumber or even logs with the bark still on for floor trusses...i'm not that brave.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline TBod

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 05:02:19 pm »
Ok thanks.

By the way it's against the rules to use PT lumber as trusses in my country (Sweden). Some did it back in the late seventies out here, put them directly on the concrete and stuff. They started to smell pretty bad after some time. Just thought I should tell you.

I would go for Pine for trusses and put some tarpaper or something where they touch ground.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 05:08:38 pm »
all i can say is wow!!!!!!!!!!!
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline adb

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 05:33:08 pm »
Cool fort  8)

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 09:36:41 pm »
Congrats on the baby, and Congrats to you for taking a chance and moving to Montana.   It looks like you are thriving out there.  You should be proud of yourself, keep up the good work, it looks like a beautiful place.
Traverse City, MI

Ian Johnson

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 11:56:35 pm »
i think if I tried to build a log cabin here it would sink in the mud lol

Offline jp gray

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 12:13:39 pm »
wow how nice is that ,hey ryann you think you could add another room  ;D.thats what i call living my dream! a cabin in the middle of the woods.
john paul gray