Author Topic: Bow workshops near NOVA.....  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Stingray45

Bow workshops near NOVA.....
« on: August 12, 2010, 02:36:54 pm »
I wanted to see if anyone knew of any bow workshops or classes that were fairly close to Northern Virginia. I have been trying to build selfbows lately and have mixed results. I have gotten a few bows but not being able to hit the draw weights I'm looking for. I think it would benefit me to see someone who knows what they're doing to go through the process and kind of correct me when I'm doing something wrong or show me the proper way to do it. I have heard about other bow building workshops around the country, just wondering if anyone knows of any that are close to Northern Virignia area, I'm about 30 miles outside of D.C. Willing to drive an hour or two, if I cant find anything that close I may just have to plan on traveling to one of these other bow workshops that happen once a year. Thanks everyone.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bow workshops near NOVA.....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:29:06 am »
You would be welcome to come visit our shop but it is a little more than an hour or 2.You might check with RyanO in PA. he dose some classes from time to time. He is on here a lot ,you might want to pm him and see if he plans on any before hunting season. If you don't find something
plan on making it to TN. in late April early May.There are a lot of selfbows folks at that event and more than willing to help.Also come on here and ask questions,this place is full of good bowyers
that love to help you along.  :) Sounds like if you are already making bows that shoot,just under in weight you are ahead of the game.A few hints on tillering like when and where and how much to scrape and you should be good to go. If you see Jimmy again tell we said ha.  :) :)   
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:49:02 am »
Yeah I think that's really what I need is to pick up some tips from guys who have done it for a while. Or just a reminder to slow down or tips on when its time to switch to different stages, like when its time to move from floor tillering to long string tillering without taking off to much wood, or when its time to brace the bow and those kind of things. Alot of times I find myself taking off too much wood before I get to brace height. Then once I'm at brace height I end up not having to take off too much wood before I get close 16" or 18" of draw and I'm already under weight.

I checked the flyer and I am gonna try to plan on coming down. I think Im going to contact Ryan as well, my wife went to school in Erie so she's always up for going back to visit friends so that may work out if he's offering some classes. Thanks again.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline xin

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 10:56:24 am »
All you need to do is slow down and not get in a hurry to get a shooting bow.  I think patience will solve all of your problems.  Also, be sure your stave is properly dried and cured.  Wet wood makes for low weight sluggish bows.

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:13:47 am »
I definitely think that's my main issue. I am just about to start on a new board stave. I'll take the process nice and slow and maybe I'll try post pics during the process to get feedback as I go. I'm working with a redoak backed hackberry stave. I've taken off a little wood for the floor tillering process, probably ready to long string tiller. The bow is 67" long ttt, a little over 1-3/8" wide through the handle and out 2/3's of the way on each limb. Then the last 11" of each limb tapers down from 1-3/8" to 1/2" nocks. I want to make it with a somewhat stiff handle, I left the handle about 8" long. I'd like to end up with something between 50#-55#@28".

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:34:38 am »
Get Jimmy to help you along, He has come a long way in the last couple of years. :)   
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 10:55:54 pm »
Two or so weeks from now, depending on how the interviews I just finished turn out, I may be in the area and would be willing to help out. I'm no expert, but can usually get the weight I'm aiming for. PM me if you'd be interested.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein