Author Topic: really confused about strings  (Read 2668 times)

Offline cuthalion

really confused about strings
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:51:56 am »
hey everyone
i have been making bows for a little while now but unfortuneatly i have never gotten away from using pre made strings from canadian tire. :-\
does anyone know where i can get dacron....and a video showing how to make a string?
ive tried reading the sections in tbb about it but it confuses me a lot
thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: really confused about strings
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:01:08 am »
3Rivers Archery, a PA sponsor has string making materials and the video(DVD) to show you how. Chad Weaver's video(DVD), "Doing the Twist" is an excellent resource for Flemish string making. Also available at 3Rivers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dstbstr

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:07:42 am »
There are also several free online videos and guides for making a flemish.  Steve Stratton's video about making the laminated war bow also has a string making section in it.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:19:49 am »
Canadian Tire, must be Canadian.  Where you from?   
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 01:51:09 pm »
Just ordered some string from Archery Past, pretty good price too
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 07:04:19 pm »
I bought 2 rolls of d50 (1/4lb) rolls for just over 8bucks a piece from 3rivers, one black and one dark brown. So for 20bucks with shipping I have enough material to make more strings than I have time to make bows to match. Plus it is rewarding to know you twisted your own string. And as PatB said 3rivers has a video on their website that shows you how to do the reverse twist. I looked all over the net and found countless picture examples with descriptions but nothing stuck till I saw the video.  Once you see the video Tim Bakers section in tbb on strings makes way more sense
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline cuthalion

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:54:16 pm »
thanks a lot guys
really appreciated
and Marc i am from Manitoulin Island, Ontario.  :)
where are you from?