Author Topic: carved tip width  (Read 2234 times)

Offline walkabout

carved tip width
« on: August 07, 2010, 07:39:17 pm »
just wondering what width you guys generally stick to when doing a carving on a limb tip. my tips are currently about 1/2", and i know that i may thiin them later in case it has any hand shock. not doing anything really detailed, but wanted to put some thought into the finish of this bow after seeing everyone else's work.

half eye

Re: carved tip width
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 10:31:46 pm »
walkabout,
     The mollegabets I carve the tips on are 1/2" by 1/2" and I been known to get pretty froggy on some of them.....with no problems. BUT I do make mine from quartersawn board stock, so whatever my experience may be worth to ya.
rich

Offline walkabout

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:52:57 pm »
thanks. on this bow im carving one tip in the shape of a snake head , and the other a whitetail deer hoof, because theyre both animals i have alot of interest in and respect for. my tips still need some work, im not too concerned with getting top notch performance out of it but moreso just a collection of my skills wrapped up into one piece. its great seeing your work and how you literally make the bow a piece of functional art, and thats something i would like to incorporate into my bow to an extent, but it will certainly be my hunting bow when its done as its the heaviest draw bow ive built yet, as well as my first hickory from a stave i cut myself.

half eye

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:20:32 pm »
I got sort of a different take on the whole decorating thing. Every bow I ever made was made to be used and function, I hunt with mine and so the people I give them away to. It's a bow first, decorated second. Just because the thing's carved dont make it less of a weapon......ever looked at a safari grade Holland and Holland or a Rigby rifle? the wood choice, gold inlays and metal carving are without equal....but the ones I saw were still 500 Nitro Express caliber.

Anyway hope ya pursue the carving part, make the weapon first then decorate to your hearts content......like me, every now and then ya make a critter that takes yer breath away. (Caution though, it gets really addictive)
rich

Offline walkabout

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 11:32:36 pm »
my thoughts exactly, just as one might admire the particular curves on one style of bow over another, its form doesnt take away from its function. ive done a bit of carving over time, and now that i see it can be implemented into bowyery i want to be able to do so, although im sure for awhile ill be figuring out exactly what the wood will be able to handle and what it wont. seeing the scalloped edge bows and carved molle's and holme's really made me want to pursue this aspect of the art.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 12:18:59 am »
Everything outside of the string grooves is insignificant except for physical weight. Carve away and make them as small as your design allows.  8) 
  I've built Eastern woodland style D bows that have 3/4" wide tips. If tillered properly these bows have very little, if any hand shock. Most other designs with tips that big would jar your teeth loose.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline walkabout

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 12:51:11 am »
these ones roughly are 3/4 inch thick right now, but i havent yet really worked down the antler overlays on the front. also i still have a good bit of rounding to do so they will definitly be a little lighter when done.