Author Topic: tip overlay materials  (Read 2574 times)

Offline walkabout

tip overlay materials
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:36:06 pm »
working on my latest bow, and had an idea for some tip overlays. i was going to use antler at first, however i dont like how much i would have to sand down the tip to get it flat. i have a bunch of rawhide, which would conform to the tips, as well as some buffalo leather. ive used the buffalo leather for arrow rests and such, laminating layers with superglue then sanding/filing to shape. would this method work for the tip overlays? im trying to get something my string can grab a little better, right now it doesnt sit very well on the groove where it meets the back of the bow.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: tip overlay materials
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 06:50:22 pm »
A sinew wrap below the shoulder of the nocks would work.  Laying up layers of leather/rawhide and soaking it with the penetrating versions of superglue might do the ticket, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 06:52:49 pm »
I would bet the string would cut the rawhide or leather. If you feel like you need overlays you really should use hard wood or horn. You are going to need to sand the bow tips flat or try to make the overlay match the bow. Depending on how tiny your tips are, you might be able to wrap the tips with silk or sinew and cut a string groove across the back of the bow. Pictures are always helpfull when we are trying to come up with ideas.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline walkabout

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:23:55 pm »
the tips are 1/2" wide right now. i was nervous about filing grooves any deeper but decided to do antler tips anyway, the crown was fairly flat on them after i piked it so i just hit it with my rasp and got it nice and flat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:54:30 pm »
I have used super glue saturated shoe leather for tip overlays. It worked fine!  I also use it for packing out the back of a bulbous handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline walkabout

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:03:23 pm »
thanks pat, i might have to use the buffalo leather on the snaky stave i got in the works next. ive also used leather to build out bendy handle bows' handles, i did it the hard way and had to get it nice and smooth before i wrapped it, so it took awhile but it definiltly works great when you cant build a normal handle.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 11:44:27 pm »
I once used hippo teeth for tip overlays. Bet no one has done that one. Got them from a scrimshaw artist. Just an idea, there is other primitive material available. Good luck Denny.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:45:11 pm »
I pre-shape the leather on the belt sander first then wet it and form it to where it is going before glue-up with TBIII. After the glue-up cures out I do final shaping with a razor and course sandpaper but for saturating it with super glue. After that dries I sand it smooth and add more super glue. Then a final sanding before wrapping the handle.
  Tip overlays are done similarly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC