Author Topic: Long snake skin  (Read 2774 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Long snake skin
« on: August 01, 2010, 09:36:06 am »
On long snake skins- should you cut it in half to keep the grain going out on both limbs or does it matter?  I had someone tell me this was important once, but never understood why ???
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Jboyd

Re: Long snake skin
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:52:16 am »
I do it on Timber rattlers because of the way the pattern is
it works reall well.

jamie

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:47:43 pm »
Jeff, I prefer 2 skins joined at the handle because I like the scales to lay toward the tips to make stringing the bow easier and less abrasive to the string. I have split skins lengthwise but always lay the skins so the head is toward the handle and tail toward the tips. I have seen bows with one skin tip to tip. It looks fine and works well but for me the orientation I chose is the preferred by me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 01:16:53 pm »
I have 2 bows with a single skin running the length of the bow.  That boa you have Jeff has pretty flat scales, they aren't keeled like rattlers.  So if you tru oil it well enough you shouldn't have a problem with the abrasion of the string like Pat was mentioning.
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 01:28:22 pm »
how long is the bow you're skinning with that thing?
Nate Danforth

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 02:34:44 pm »
Just put the tail end on the top limb and don't worry about it! ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 03:01:47 pm »
Like Shannon said....if you do it this way....the Scales are facing right on the top Limb...and thats the one that takes the Punishment while Stringing and unstringing.....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 03:20:18 pm »
To be so lucky to have a single skin that's long enough for the whole bow!  Yes, I'd put it on in one length, with the tail at the tip as mentoned.

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 05:00:25 pm »
Not only is it long enough...it's wide enough to do probably 3 bows.  I hope you utilize that side pattern Jeff, if not on this bow on another one.  That calico like pattern and color is just incredible.

Mike,
I understand what you mean about the string abrading against the scales....but python and boa skins I have on my bows you can run your fingers against(backwards) the scales and it's smooth as butter.  A little 0000 steel wool on the scales and then 6 coats of tru oil is what did it for mine. 
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:32:05 pm »
          Yeah Nate....I was mainly speaking about Rattlers and other Vipers...most Constrictor Skins are thicker...and smoother than any of the North American Vipers

And Jeff....if this is one of Nates Hides....amke sure that you do your best to split it in three...because the Side patterns are almost better looking than the Back are....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 07:04:29 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm working on several sinewed shorties, so I should have enough to make some nice bows ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 07:41:33 pm »
Cool good to hear Jeff.  Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Mike, sounds like we were on the same page.  Yep, it's one of mine.  One of my favorite skins yet, cept maybe that green tree python ;D  Wife begged me to keep this one...But I'm getting a good trade for this skin.  I'm going to attempt a MSL D/R or recurve with the pair of HHB boards.
Nate Danforth

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 11:31:22 pm »
Those skins are absolutely amazing!!Beautiful!!Cant wait to see em on sumpn!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA