Author Topic: HHB Character Bow  (Read 7671 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: HHB Character Bow
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 02:46:47 pm »
Absolutely a good job.  That does look like it was a tricky one.  Way to go!
1’—>1’

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 11:23:57 am »
I really like HHB although i have noticed that unless you have a perfectly straight piece tearout when using cutting tools like spokeshaves can be a real problem. After the bandsaw i pretty much used only a farriers rasp on this bow until i made it to the scraper, and even that had problems with the swirly grain so i used a lot of sandpaper on this one for final tillering.
45# at 27"

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 01:32:52 pm »
Tons of character!  It proves that less than beautiful pieces of wood can make great weapons in the hands of a skilled craftsman.  A very special bow.  Congratulations.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 04:01:11 pm »
I'm starting to appreciate a good "bow wood" (and i use that term loosly) stave more and more. when i started building bows i made a lot of board bows. Nothing wrong with that i still think it is the best way to learn the craft without a lot of investment and really work on tillering and technique. But in the long run i've had several board bows lift a splinter or just break even when i could see nothing wrong with it. Today, i had a board bow with a linen backing give out on me after well over a 1000 shots through it. I have yet to have a stave with a clean back break on me, even a character bow.
45# at 27"

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 09:07:01 pm »
HHB can make some good bows and u did excellent working around some tough spots!  Congrats!

AncientArcher
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 09:32:40 pm »
Really,really nice,, cool character ,tiller looks fine to me and if it shoots sweet-well then awesome job.Hammertime

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 01:09:45 am »
That thing has some character. Very nice, good job on such a tough piece.
SW Utah