Author Topic: Newbie question about setting a draw length  (Read 6061 times)

Offline walkabout

Re: Newbie question about setting a draw length
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 10:57:52 pm »
then you would build a bow that was pulled safely to 32", although you would only really pull it to30 by AMO standard, which is measured 1 3/4" from the deepest part of the bows handle. tillering it out to 32 inches would only be to ensure safety.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 11:02:09 pm »
i find that when switching to traditional archery the form changes so much that there is a signifigant diference in draw length. one reason is anchor point, another is form. if i open my chest up the whole way as i do with a compound, then i can draw to 30" easily, just anchoring to my lip. however, trad, equipment is more snap style shooting, with more of a bent elbow and wrist, and the anchor instead moving to the corner of your lip in most cases, the string being released as you meet your target and anchor point at the same time.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 11:35:03 pm »
The bow is built to the draw length. You have to be build it longer and/or wider. A good rule of thumb is to double your draw and add 10-20%. For woods like osage you can add 10% if youare an experienced bowyer. Otherwise stay at  20%. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 05:37:05 pm »
The bow is built to the draw length. You have to be build it longer and/or wider. A good rule of thumb is to double your draw and add 10-20%. For woods like osage you can add 10% if youare an experienced bowyer. Otherwise stay at  20%. Jawge

...and that is why many custom bowyers really don't carry a lot of bows in stock.  The "one size fits all" concept kinda falls apart where the moccasins hit the trail.  Flip side of that coin is that when you go to make your bow, it fits YOU perfectly.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 05:49:39 pm »
you would still be looking at around 70 inches for a safe length for a longbow with a nonbending handle. the composite bows will handle your draw length with a much smaller overall length.whether it be a sinewed shortbow or an asiatic r/d would be your choice as to what you want to build or have made for you.

mekial2222

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 03:15:19 am »
I never have used a compound bow...  I've pulled afew but I've never shot one.  just in general I've always thought drawlength was pretty much related to how long you need your arrows so that at your full draw your arrow doesn't fall off your bow... 
So back to the main point of the thread.  to set draw length you need to start with double draw lenth plus 10%-20% for overall bow lenth for a longbow?  I know to make a composite you need multiple components but can one be made with easier to get materials?  Logic would dictate that you can't just make a composite style selfbow and get the same drawlength to bow length ratio as a true composite...

Offline walkabout

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 04:00:27 am »
70 inches really isnt very long for a bow. my first bow build was a 72" longbow, and it turned out great, is still one of my favorite bows because its very forgiving. as far as building a composite, the materials can be easily acquired depending on your location. horn can be bought on the auction site for a fair price, and sinew is fairly inexpensive as well. the hard part would be putting it all together successfully. last time i was looking at materials for a composite i found out that i could get them for a bit less than it would cost someone to build a fiberglass laminate. the calculation for bow length is a pretty accurate one, although talented bowyers can build bows that break these guidelines. ive seen hickory bows that are pretty short pulled to 28 inches.