Author Topic: snake skin ??  (Read 1491 times)

Offline sonny

snake skin ??
« on: July 24, 2010, 06:25:06 pm »
 I have a couple of copperhead skins that a buddy gave me a while back. They stayed in his woodworking shop for who knows how long, must've
dried out too much. Reason I say that is that when I tried to glue 'em on a sinew backed bow (using hide glue) they wouldn't stick, so I gave up on skinning that
bow and left the sinew uncovered. Now I have another bow I'd like to stick 'em on, would like to know if y'all have any suggestions on how to
get 'em to stick.
soak in water with a bit of hide glue mixed in.....thinkin' maybe that would work.....

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: snake skin ??
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 06:41:04 pm »
Glenn
Could be they picked up some dust or oils in his shop and that is why they won't stick.  I would try to gently washing them with warm soapy water making sure to rinse them off properly after.  I don't think I would use hide glue to glue them on either but that's just me
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 06:55:37 pm »
Don't soak them in hide glue, soak them in clean water. Maybe wash them with dish soap then rinse them really good. Apply a layer of Tight Bond to the bow and another to the skins. Give them 10 minutes for the TB to dry most of the way. Apply another layer of TB and apply the skins to the bow. They should stick just fine. If that sounds to much like work you can always send the skins to me.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:43:34 pm »
 What Justin said, Glenn.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 08:46:23 pm »
Could be salted skins. Wash, wash and wash some more. I had a terrible time getting some salted skins to stick until i gave them a good washing.