Author Topic: Keeping The Shiny Side Up.....Don't Look If Your Squeemish  (Read 5848 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Keeping The Shiny Side Up.....Don't Look If Your Squeemish
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:53:13 am »
I know that there are a lot of my Brothers on this Board....that also ride an Iron Horse....I have ridden since I could walk...had my first a Honda 50...back in 1964....then graduated to real Dirt Bikes....then I was old enough to hit the Highways....and hit them I did....more than once.....there is an old saying  among Bikers....There's only Two Kinds of Riders....Ones that have Laid One Down.....and Ones that Will....well my Foreman Bodey bought a new Wide Glide...had it less than a week....He got off of work and went and got drunk....as usual for a Rigger to do after a 12 hour night shift.....well He gets so Hammered....they drive Him Home....and a fellow worker takes His Bike  to his House...well to make a long story a bit shorter....Ricky got the idea to take Bodeys Bike to see a Friend in a Town a 100 miles away...wearing His normal attire...shorts...sandals...and a Hawaiian Print Shirt....well...He lost control of the Bike for some unknown reason.. flew to the pavement...stiffarmed the road..tore one arm almost off...the other is badly roadrashed....compound broke his right ankle too....and to boot He...Like Me....doesn't wear a  Helmet... so He is in the Hospital and they are trying to stabilize Him and save his arm and foot...I guess the reason I am  writing this....Is....
That bundle of wires and massaged metal and Air Brushed Artwork  has no cares in the World.....no Conscience....and no feeling of Remorse.....so when You make up Your Mind that you are going to take your Life into Your Own Hands....remember all of the People that Love You....and Ride Safe...and  Ride Defensive...because there are way too many Idiots riding Bikes...and way too many People that pay them mo mind at all....so remember....
Keep The Wind In Your Hair....And The Rubber On The Road.

God Bless

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:40:09 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Keeping The Shiny Side Up.....
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 01:08:59 am »
Sorry to hear that about your foreman, Mike.  I don't ride personally but I DO have friends that do.  My friends that ride all look out for one another too.  Hope he gets better soon. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:18:24 am »
Michael, I used to love having bugs in my teeth but after one friend lost his arm(no fault of his own) and others badly hurt or dead I gave it up many years ago. I miss it but don't regret it!
   I have studied drivers(informally) reaction to motorcycles and in my eye it doesn't matter how big your bike is or how many flashing lights you have on it other drivers(most) don't see or acknowledge you! There is nothing finer than cruising down a country road on a crisp fall evening with the wind in your face...except LIFE!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Lombard

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 10:44:11 am »
I hear ya Mike. Made myself lame back in the dirt bike daredevil days. Drifted on a hundred plus foot jump, got a lucky bounce and missed the trees, but hit the ground hard. Split my helmet in two, head inside helmet so, so. The dirt bikes we had back in the seventies were heavy, and didn't have the suspensions that modern dirt bikes have, and when you tangled up in one, you tangled with something that would hurt you bad. I wiped out doing stunts dozens of times, fractured spine, broken leg, broken arm, broken ribs. Did it all sober, so don't have that excuse. My friends called me crazy, my Dad called me stupid. They were both right. Now the only adrenalin involved sport I do is bow building, and when something bad happens, the only thing that gets hurt is my feelings.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 11:22:03 pm »
 OUCH!  Sorry, always wore a helmet. Like you Mike, I started riding early and have no desire down here anymore. Too many old people that come to Florida to die, and too many cars.  I hope he comes out of this.

lombard, I know what you mean about the old dirt bikes. When you came down hard, it was REAL hard. It was nothing when I was racing in the 60's and 70's to be repairing cracked frames. I had old Yamaha 250 Enduro's, Elsinore, and Suzuki 350. I also had a cracked helmet like that. :'(
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 11:52:42 pm »
Sorry to hear that. Driving a tow truck on police rotation broke me of any desire to ride a motorcycle. I never went to a motorcycle accident that wasn't a fatality.
Living a dream...

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 12:30:27 am »
I guess thats why the Emergency Room Staff call them....Donor Cycle Accidents.... >:(

Here is a Shot of Ricky's Good Arm before the Stitches and Grafts He is going to need...I won't show His Right Arm....The Doctors are optimistic that He will keep it though...But His Leg started hurting Him overnight...and they drew over 100cc's of Blood out of His Knee....they say He tore His ACL in his Left Knee...and they found out He has Diabetes to boot....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:46:31 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

Re: Keeping The Shiny Side Up.....Don't Look If Your Squeemish
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 09:48:46 am »
damn dude thats gotta hurt  :o

i always wear my skull bucket and leather when i ride,regardless of temp
i know it wont prevent accidents,but it does add an extra layer of protection

hope he recovers with little to no permanent injuries

i drove wrecker for many years.most bike accidents that i went on were fatal ones
but all had injuries to some extent,even just the slow speed accidents
hell when an old lady reended me at a stop(about 10 mph )i still ended up with a nice,slightly larger than softball size bruise on my left knee
that is where the bike hit me when it shot out from under me

bike accidents are never just a "little accident"

once again Mike,i hope he recovers without the loss of anything
he will be in my thoughts
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 10:13:10 am »
I got the crap scared out of me on the back of a Harley one time and never cared to get on one again!  My boss rides and he doesn't get on it much since he had his kid because of all the near hits and cars that push him off the road.  Good luck to your buddy Mike- looks like he should stay drugged up for a month or so.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 08:44:05 pm »
 This is why I've been looking at Ultra- Lite Parasails. Glide all day when the motor shuts off to find a landing spot,  no old ladies pulling out in front of you, and cheaper than a Harley.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 08:56:04 pm »
Thats why my girlfriend does not ride anymore. Someone tried to run her down, on purpose! She ended up cracking ribs, bone bruises and some nerve damage in her hip. She does not ride anymore because of that and if I can, I will do my best, to get her to not ride anymore. Had an inkling to do this as a kid myself untill I saw what happened to a budy of mine.

Hope your friend gets well and wont loos that arm or leg! Prayers and good wishes going out to him.

Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Lombard

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 09:04:22 pm »
A picture is worth a thousand words, and that one speaks volumes.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 11:20:19 pm »
If that one is speaking...then the other arm is Screaming It's Lungs Out.... :-[
2024...We Will Overcome