Author Topic: Example of an Unending Correction  (Read 2706 times)

bowkee

Example of an Unending Correction
« on: July 16, 2010, 04:47:37 pm »
HI Friends, I would like to show ya what a propeller twisted Board Bow looks like after repeated corrections.
The Board itself was 2* 1/3/4 and was straight with no twist.
 started with making a Holmgaard with this Board and got repeated twist as I tillered,I make corections to the opposing side with no results. I studied the Back of the Bow to see if the Grain was twisting up and out the Back, that seemed to be the case.
The sides of the Bow appear to have straight line from tip to tip.
After removing all the wood There was still twist and the weight of the Bow was below 20#  26 so I cut it up as saw dust.
The Following short Bow, still the same Problem but this one is a 2 piece glue up.
The Bow Has twist in opposing direction but the String is centered and it is shooting Straight. I am baffled By this. Glad I'll be getting those Saves soon.
Here is a couple Pics. 30#@20 50"

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:14:26 pm by bowkee »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Example of an Unending Correction
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:55:22 am »
Phil, good thing you aren't a goldsmith!  ;D  You have built enough bow to know that wood can be a fickled medium.  Sometimes you get one that just doesn't want to cooperate. These are the bows that go into the "corner of shame" for me! You will be amazed in a year or so what it can become...or not!  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gmc

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:22:31 am »
I had a Hickory do that to me one time. I worked on that bow off and on over several months. I hated to give up but finally surrendered, it just didn't want to be a bow.  :-\ I guess you run into those every now and then.
Central Kentucky

Offline elk country rp

i feel your pain brother
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 02:20:18 am »
i visited my corner of shame earlier tonight- there are a few propellers there that really didn't deserve what they got from me.....

bowkee

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 02:19:48 pm »
That's funny, Ive been shootin this thing and it shoots pretty well, strange how each limb twists in opposite directions when drawn.
been checkin for frets, no sign yet, hate waisting wood. :'( ::)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:26:57 pm »
Yup. You'll get a different picture depending on the side you are looking at. Board bows should not be prop twisted. I assume it became prop twisted after you started tillering which means your wood removal was uneven. Favor one side flip it and then favor the same side on the other limb. There's the prop twist. It's natural to favor one side over the other. Inspect the limbs visually and with your sense of touch to combat that. To fix a twist always remove wood from the high side. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 08:10:42 pm »
welcome to bow making.. This has happened to me too. Guess the tree grew on the side of a hill and the wind blew hard enough to train the grain. lol One time I made a hickory bow that you could have put on the back of a boat. Denny

bowkee

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 03:48:33 am »
Thanks for the Advice, Bow # 37 Wall hanging :)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 09:58:27 am »
Philip when  first looked at this,before i even read about it my first thoughts were
"dang Phil,what happened your better than this"

but theni read it and realized that i too have had this happen with board bows(mostly)
i have found that it 99.9% of the time caused by uneven wood removal like mentioned in other posts
although i have had grain cause it that other .1% of the time

if it is shooting well and no chrysalling is found,shoot it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd