Author Topic: newbie rock ?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline bubby

newbie rock ?
« on: July 12, 2010, 02:59:51 am »
I was wondering, besides obsedion, whats a good rock for a newbie knapper, so far I get a point about 1/2 done before I break it. making lot's of chips and no point's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: newbie rock ?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 08:18:56 am »
Try heat treated novaculite or burlington chert (keokuk). I've had good luck with these for my first 4 points.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:19:41 am »
Tonnage: Does'nt really matter what kind of rock ya use just break a lot of it and you'll figure it out. Ya might try glass for awhile if you don't want to waste all your obsidian..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 12:00:22 pm »
I agree with Cowboy -- the best rock is the cheapest rock you can find. Take it in stride when you break them. Otherwise your frustration level is gonna build and you'll probably give up before you ever make many points. Keep in mind when you break a poiint you've been workin on - that it's just a rock! If you have to buy your rock find cheap stuff (or someone that's realy generous! ::) Go to a knap-in and sit down with someone. You will learn alot more faster. Also, I try to keep the big ones that I break or the ones I worked on a realy long time. Sometimes I even go ahead and glue them back together. It helps me remember to slow down and examine the rock to make sure I am finding the right path to get the point out. If you take it slow and remember to enjoy the process, the rewards will be great when you start turning them out.

good knappin!
Scott

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 06:29:48 pm »
Thank's guys, I'll try you're suggestions, do ya have to heat treat all rock 'cept obsidian and also, how do ya heat treat it? I'm in northern Calif. so theirs ob sideion, heck it's only a buck a pound to buy it, thank's, Bub

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:15:15 am »
Most rock doesn't really need heat treating, except for some of the tougher cherts, jaspers, and agates. Many types of rock can't be heat-treated. Dacite is another excellent easy-to knap rock that you should have there in your area, not quite as brittle as obsidian.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 10:19:23 am »
I did a how to on heat treating this TX rock awhile back. But I did it in the ground under a wood fire - lot of experimenting and work. A kiln is the modern, easier, better way to go.. I don't know what you have out there that would need to be heated? If you have a lot of obs, I would just run with that for awhile. You can find treated cherts for sale online..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 01:49:39 pm »
Thank's for the info, I'll  hang in there with the obs and try to get some dacite, get pretty close on my point's then bam, 2 or 3 pieces, thank's