Author Topic: GOT-A-BUNCH-OF-BAMBOO  (Read 3957 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Re: GOT-A-BUNCH-OF-BAMBOO
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 08:55:28 am »
Gordon, the bamboo was pretty straight.  I glued it on with the hickory reflexed, and when it dried , then the whole assembly was reflexed.  In all, if I put the bow on a flat floor, belly up, then the height to the top of the grip is probably about five inches.  If I tiller it and it takes 2-3 inches of set, I'll still have  a pretty STRAIGHT bow.  Face it, everything we do here is an experiment to some extent.  That's part of what makes it fun. 

piper

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 02:56:32 pm »
I agree with gordan, I process some of my own bamboo. The time to cut is any month ending in r or y. Don't cut it real green , As it will split.... I don'ttable saw mine till I am needing it in a month or so. However I have done it sooner, I table saw wider than I need and leave the pulp, till I use it. I put the pcs. Up over head in the shop if they are cut. And let air dry. I have laid them out in the sun, but too much heat to soon will crack. Good Luck Denny

Offline dusty

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 04:03:40 pm »
I find the best way to flatten bamboo is with a belt sander
I cut mine to roughly to size and the work it down with a 60 grit belt this gives a nice flat back
Just remember if you have a taper to the tips that the more you trim of the sides the thicker the bamboo gets due to the crowned back so the tips have to be thinner so the backing does not end up to thick at the tips

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 09:10:57 am »
I got that hickory/bamboo bow flexing and cut nocks in it.  Recurve Shooter will be by today to pick it up.   It needs sanding and finishing and he can take care of that.    He brought the bamboo and has more time to shoot it, so off it goes. 

We'll find out later if it is a bow or just looks like one. 

piper

Offline islandpiper

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 07:20:19 pm »
The early report is in.  Recurve Shooter says it is fast, no hand shock, pulls over fifty pounds and draws smooth.  OK.....I'm happy if he's happy. 

He'll sand it and wrap a grip on it and we'll get some pics if it survives a couple days of shooting. 

piper