Author Topic: ferrite  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Wolfsongforge

• My name is Kenneth, and I am a bladesmith
ferrite
« on: June 19, 2010, 10:23:14 pm »
this is a point i ..knapped outta carbon bearing ferrite today. it is a point from a set of 3 that will be going to halfeye.they turned out to have a nice steely blue color....

God Bless
Kenneth

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: ferrite
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 12:40:28 pm »
Well that's some cool looking stuff Kenneth! Almost like i'ts been polished. Good one..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Wolfsongforge

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 01:07:36 pm »
well it was. ol that is made from  a small bar of 1080 steel. that i carved yesterday into the shape of a point.
i tried to mimic the looks af percussion flakes on it. not sure if i pulled it of or not. after i carved it i buffed it then blued it.
I think is looks ok. i have 2 more points to do. one is a clovis and the other i will try to make it look like a pine tree point.

thanks for the comment cowboy, much appriciated.

God Bless
Kenneth

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:21:19 pm »
Well thats different.  I like it to go outside the box and to create art is very cool to see.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 03:32:06 pm »
Gee thats a Sweet Point ...they remind Me of the batchs I have in my Dresser Drawer........ that I have never figured out what to do with.. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 03:35:50 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 04:26:57 pm »
hmm ive knapped some hard rocks
but never tried steel  ;D

thems all cool  8)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Wolfsongforge

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 04:39:44 pm »
i have seen those points before on blademaker.com.
I might just have to do as he is doing and casting the points, because holding a dremel and useing diamond fils gets old. lol i do plan to do a aztec themed short sword use that carving method. i can do the blade of it no prob. just not sure how to make a hilt that is native looking and still be used in my normal hilt mounting method.

again those are cool points he casted, and should hold a good edge as they are D2..heck of a tough steel. one a off note steel is of a crystaline structure. i wonder if you got it as hard as it can be made. would it knap? because i have caused shard to spall of hitting  hardened steel.

God Bless
Kenneth

half eye

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 08:53:52 pm »
Ken,
      Fine looking point....got deer wrote all over it....probably more than one.
Rich

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 11:36:14 pm »
thats cool. be cool for stump shooting too.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 09:49:17 am »
Well, fooled me. It looks knapped ;D. Reminds me of some pernts I made and ran through the rock tumbler for necklaces, has the same smoothed up polished look..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 09:13:44 pm »
Gee thats a Sweet Point ...they remind Me of the batchs I have in my Dresser Drawer........ that I have never figured out what to do with.. ;D

Haft them on some shafts and kill something with them Mike! ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956