Author Topic: sapling help  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Scrub_buck

sapling help
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:27:24 am »
I ran into a nice and stright wrist / forearm sized sapling of red mulberry today.  I think Mulberry wants to be a heartwood bow (if I remember right), but one that size might not have any or enough heartwood in it.

It will not be any trouble to get, I just don't want to waste my time if there is too little heartwood to make a bow from it.

What say you veterans of the red mulberry brigade???  Cut or not to cut?????

Scrub_buck

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: sapling help
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 12:33:58 am »
Mulberry sapwood will make a good bow. It will be thicker than a heartwood bow. I would use the wood under the bark as the back.
  Check out Gordon's sapling bow build along in the "How To" section.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gmc

Re: sapling help
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:01:13 am »
Whack that sapling down and make a bow. Don't worry about the heartwood/ sapwood thing. Both will make a bow, even a combination of both on the bow would be nice. I've only made one with Mulberry and it had little to no heartwood but made a fine bow. 

I don't think you'll waste your time. There are so many woods to experience with different ways to use each one, so much to learn. Long as we are learning, its never a waste of time. It would be great to see your results, let us know how it turns out.
Central Kentucky