Author Topic: first set of arrows  (Read 2044 times)

Offline gilbarbarian

first set of arrows
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:14:52 am »
These I made for my my 51# osage selfbow.  POC, 55# spine, field points, feather burned pope and young cut, turquoise leather dye, crown dipped in white, finish with polyurethane, hot glue points and nocks, feathers attached with Bitzenburger jig and duco cement. I only used one coat of each color and poly.  For my first arrows they didn't turn out too bad.  But I learned a  lot on what not to do. Any advice on cresting as mine seem to have blended with the dye and white paint.   Also attaching the nocks was not as easy as I thought.  They fly great though. It is amazing how the right spined arrows make a difference.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: first set of arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:42:12 am »
Nice looking arrows, but the spine seems high. You must have left them 30-31 inches long I bet.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline gilbarbarian

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 02:21:08 am »
Yeah I left them at 30 inches, does that lower the spine weight?

Offline agd68

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:49:38 am »
Hey gilbarbarian

Yes. Commercial shaft spine weights are given for a 28" arrow. Anything longer than that lowers the spine weight by approx 3 # per inch, so 55# @ 28" = 49# @ 30" . Shorter than 28" adds spine weight , 55 # @ 28 = 61# @ 26 .
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh