Author Topic: limb twist  (Read 1470 times)

Offline deiselbrown

limb twist
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:19:35 am »

I have a hickory board stave backed with linen. I backed it because the grain runs off one side at moderate angle. it is 2 inches up to mid limb tapering to 1/2 inch. The bow has a straight profile. I have it half way to brace heiight and i noticed from mid limb up to the tips the limbs are twisting in opposite directions. i figure it is due to the grain runoff. Should I saw the bow in half and start over or is there a remedy to this?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: limb twist
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:28:30 am »
If the board was straight to start with then the twist was caused by uneven wood removal. Remember it will twist toward the weak side. Remove wood from the other side. If you din't understand let me know. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline deiselbrown

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 09:53:49 am »
    I have taken a few couses off the strong side it just didn't seem to straighten any. I stopped because I felt it was starting to get thin on that sisde. I will take a little more and see what happens. Should I take wood from the belly of the strong side or the side of the strong side? I took it from the belly.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:44:40 am »
Sure. Do what you think is best. Where's the strong side? If you were to strong the stave, the string side is the one furthest from the string. As you tiller you should be visually inspecting the limbs to see if you are favoring one side or the other. I tend to favor the side away from me. Also, exercise the limb between scrapes. Jawge
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 02:27:58 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline deiselbrown

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 01:59:20 pm »
I had an apifiny ,i think that's how you spell it, I have been scraping from the wrong side. No wonder it wouldn't get any straighter .That's why we have this great web site to get dippy do's like me back on the straight and narrow. Thanks