Author Topic: Last of the Mohicans  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Parnell

Last of the Mohicans
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:14:16 am »
Anybody ever read 'The Last of the Mohicans'?  I've got about 80 pages to go of the original version, original text.  It was difficult at first to get used to the older style American English, but I'm getting used to it now.  I've got an original print reproduction with art-work in it.  The book is hard-cover and has the silk page keeper.  I'll say it is about as an enjoyable read as I've ever had.

Never read 'The Deer Slayer'.  But sorta started it the other night.  Natty Bumpo is the main character.  Apparently, these are a series of books, five or so, in total?

Not a great deal on archery but interesting in an historical context.  The character of Uncas is so well written.

Just curious about anyone's thoughts on the story.  Don't ruin the book's ending for me, though!!!
1’—>1’

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Last of the Mohicans
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 04:01:14 am »
Never read that, but I would love to!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Cromm

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:28:25 am »
Hi,
Yes I've read it and it was a great book, like you said you have to get used to the way it is written but when you do it is a great read.
I think there are 5 books, I will have a look for them all and give you the names if you want??
Thanks for your time
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 07:59:37 am »
Saw the movie.  ;) ;D It is one of my favorites. Love to read the book also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:16:00 am »
The book does have some differences from the movie.  I'd seen the movie when it came out and then maybe 3 or four times again over the years.  Doesn't ruin the book at all.

The Leatherstocking Tales is the series, I just looked it up on wikipedia.  5 books that span 1740-1804, written from about 1820-1840 by James Fenimore Cooper.
1’—>1’

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 06:22:24 pm »
Read most of the James Fenimore Cooper stuff, back in high school. American Literature, and it was about the only homework I really enjoyed. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. Mr. Cooper really brought middle nineteenth century culture to life in those stories. Gotta love that Natty Bumppo, from Leatherstockings.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 08:34:13 pm »

I read it in high school, or jr. high, one or the other.  Read all of his books.  If you like those kind of books, look for Arundel, by I think last name of Roberts.  Good book, also, when I was in jr. high, there was a series of historical fiction, called we were there.  Actually very good books, about two young boys, who are in different time periods of history, from early America to the second world war, as seen from their perspective.  Also look for Liver eatin Johnson.  About ol Jeremiah.

Wayne 

Grunt

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 11:36:57 pm »

I read it in high school, or jr. high, one or the other.  Read all of his books.  If you like those kind of books, look for Arundel, by I think last name of Roberts.  Good book, also, when I was in jr. high, there was a series of historical fiction, called we were there.  Actually very good books, about two young boys, who are in different time periods of history, from early America to the second world war, as seen from their perspective.  Also look for Liver eatin Johnson.  About ol Jeremiah.

Wayne 

Thats Kenneth Roberts. Most of his stuff is French and Indian War period.I think I have all of his books.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 11:39:57 pm »
If you enjoy the Leatherstockings Tales, look into novels by Kenneth Roberts.  Written in the 1950's they deal with early American history with some of the earliest stuff in the French and Indian War era on up to the War of 1812.  

If you are really a hardcore historical novel reader, try tackling the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien.  (Master and Commander, Far Side of the World was the movie made from this series.)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 02:31:47 am »

Grunt, and JW, that would be the author.  I couldn't remember his first name.  Thanks.  I was reading one of either, Ralph, Compton, or Ralph Cotton's westerns, and it had a story, where the main character, and an Indian, were riding across the prairie, and a Grizzly, came after them, and was gaining on them, and the Indian kept shooting arrows, in front of the Griz, and it would slow down to sniff the arrows, and then resume the chase, this kept up till finally the Griz was too far behind, and gave up the chase.  A while later the Indian went back and gathered his arrows, telling the main Character, bow easy to make , arrows heap work!   ;)

Wayne

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:21:29 pm »
It's still one of my favorites,and I enjoy watchin' the movie too,it's pretty good.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas