Author Topic: How to prepare bamboo/cane shafts???  (Read 4193 times)

Offline THoward

How to prepare bamboo/cane shafts???
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:01:03 pm »
Hello,
A few weeks ago I cut several shoots of bamboo or cane out of a firends backyard in Seattle.  He wants me to cut it all.  I have no idea what species it is.  None the less I am forging on.  I want to make arrow shaft and need a little help.  How do I dry the shafts?  Should I heat treat or not?  Any other tips as I build the arrows is also appreciated and will benefit anyone else finding uses from someone else's weeds.
Thanks,
Todd
"i came to live out loud" emile zola

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to prepare bamboo/cane shafts???
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:24:47 pm »
Todd, when I cut cane I take the culms(canes) and bundle them in groups of 15 to 20 of about the same size and place them in my utility room for a month or more. You will have to use heat to straighten the shafts and I like to temper them afterward. To do this I start at one end and hold over the open flame of our gas kitchen stove. I rotate the shaft and slowly move down to the other end. Watch out for steam coming from the ends. It WILL burn you!  ::) You want some color change but very light and even as you can.
  Can you show pics of the canes you have and also the plants in the ground?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:49:53 pm »
 When you cut bamboo, cut them about 4' long. This will give you room to adjust for spline, real crooked sections, or node placement. I always start by cutting the top at the smallest section I think will make a self nock. If I can do this behind a node, the better. Then I cut it about 4' towards the ground, give or take, depending on the diameter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:14:27 am »
if you have a car sitting around, or if you know someone that has a car, put it in there.  dry it out real quick.  course, i live in texas, so i couldve left it outside and it would dry quickly.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:19:09 am »
well the first thing that i think you should d
is send me about 3 doz in the 45-55 lbs range  ;)
im out of shaft material  >:( :-[ :'(

i know nothing of cane cutting/curing.
here in minnesota the only cane we have old people are walking around with  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:18:14 pm »
I'm liking this cane shaft making. Have 2 dozen straighted and a few more drying. (River Cane) We have it all over here. I use a little camp stove like a Coleman. I rub some plumbers heat proof grease and heat that area till it has little bubbles. Then bend and straighten that spot. I lay that one down and do the next, till I get through the ones I'm working then start back through all over again. have put some knapped points I made on a few and shot them. They fly real good. Can't wait till deer season and take my first deer with one. Good luck. I think they are as addictive as the bow building ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2