Author Topic: backing spliced osage billets  (Read 1373 times)

Offline luke the drifter

backing spliced osage billets
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:17:06 pm »
i believe that i have a pretty good glued-up splice.  but if for some reason the glue lines end up not being to my satisfaction, could i compensate whatever perceived flaw with a hickory backing strip?  i guess my question really is will the hickory backing do the compensating or hold up whichever it is?  i am looking to get around 35 to 45 pounds of draw weight at 30-32 inches of draw length.  what about fiberglass tape(not the drywall tape like one would find at lowe's)?  any thought on that.

luke

Offline luke the drifter

Re: backing spliced osage billets
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:18:22 pm »
the bow will be 72 inches long.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:47:55 pm »
I have used both hickory and fiberglass tape to back bows. One piece and spliced billets. Nice thing with hickory is it will still be an all wood bow. Even though the fiberglass gets 'transparent' with the addition of epoxy, you will still want to cover it with something. It is also easier to glue in some reflex using hickory.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:14:26 pm »
A hickory overlay should do fine especially at the bow's length and relatively low draw weight. No need to use that nasty FG crap!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 09:35:43 pm »
I've never used FG or drywall tape. I've also never done an all wood backing. You could use rawhide as a backing. Just seems to go with osage and yew. You could also glue on a thin strip of hickory over the handle. Or even a thin strip of rawhide. Head'em up! Move'em out! Yaaaa! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!