Author Topic: Birch bark canoe  (Read 3513 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Birch bark canoe
« on: July 08, 2010, 01:03:02 am »
I'm only 15 minutes into this birch bark canoe buildalong filmed in 1971 on a Cree reserve north of Montreal.  It's an hour long and it's incredible!  Just had to pause and share:

http://www.nfb.ca/film/Cesars_Bark_Canoe/
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Birch bark canoe
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 02:05:06 am »
Now THAT.  Was an hour well-spent.  Cesar was a man of amazing skill, and I think I'm going to have to ditch you chumps and dedicate my life to the "primitivecanoe.com" forum for a while.  >:D  LOL!!!  Throughout the movie, I'm thinking to myself, "I can do this"... "I can do that"... Then Cesar started splitting cedar planks with a jacknife until he had strips about 8' long, 6" wide, and 1/8th" thick.  :o  You have to see it to believe it.  Oh, and I do believe the race will be on to make spruce root handle wraps!!!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 02:22:39 am »
that was amazing im ready to go cut down a burch tree  ;D
bryan irwin

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:13:45 pm »
that was amazing im ready to go cut down a burch tree  ;D

well come on over then
i have one on the property line.i keep teling the neighbor its his(its on his side of the line)and he keeps telling me its mine
i tell him to get rid of it,and he tells me to get rid of it
i hate that damn mess making tree  >:(
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 10:34:51 pm »
if it wasn't so far to drive .
bryan irwin

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 12:08:48 am »
That is interesting.  There's an Ojibwa elder by the name of William Commanda that's coming to an Algonquin gathering this weekend. He is supposed to have built over 100 Birch bark canoes
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:31:12 am »
Here's a simpler canoe, reminds me of the Sam Harper Poorfolk bows buildalong:  This one renews hope I could do this myself!

http://www.jumaka.com/birchbarkcanoe/buildingpage/building.htm

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 08:35:47 pm »
i had an elm tree put aside to build a bark canoe with. unfortunately i needed the bark for a wigwam. still looking. although the heavier barks are tougher to work with they require a lot less ribs when putting them together. a good friend of mine has built canoes with birch , elm and fir. all with primitive tools. im diein to make one. gotta keep looking for the right tree. cool vid by the way
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct