Author Topic: bow set and how to fix it  (Read 4170 times)

Offline karrow

bow set and how to fix it
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:04:17 pm »
hello fellow archers! : im new to the forum and have been shooting and making traditional equip for a year or so. i recently made a flatbow out of walnut 38#s @ 28''. ive shot close to 50 arrows threw it and it developed an 1 1/2'' - 2'' of set in the limbs (isnt that what you call it? the limbs are arched back towards the draw position) any advice??? or is it anything to worry about???

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: bow set and how to fix it
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 11:31:53 pm »
As jawge says "Set happens". PA should sale that shirt as I know I would buy it ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:09:00 am »
I think anything under 2" is okay I have a bunch of bows with that much follow and they all shoot fine with properly matched arrows. If it shoots good and the tiller looks good on it I say just shoot it and have fun with it... When you build your next one, (there's ALWAYS a next one I have found in this hobby  ::) ) Start with a few inches of heated in/glued in reflex.  That will help to negate the set/string follow it takes.  Nothing beats good and proper tillering habits though.  You know like never pulling your bow past its intended draw weight and not pulling it farther than just enough to expose flaws in the limbs as you tiller.  Oh yeah, post pics of your work too, we all love to look at pics here.  Welcome to PA!!!!  Can't wait to see pics of your work.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline karrow

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:20:50 am »
thanks for the advice very helpfull i love the pics to when i make sumthin worth showin off ill take pics 

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 10:47:37 am »
Set happens as mentioned maybe try the BOW page next time maybe get more info there.

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 10:52:05 am »
I'm philosophical about a bit of set, especially when working with a stave.
If it doesn't take a little set, then you could probably have made the wood work harder, longer draw, higher poundage or shorther limbs.
Conversely if you don't want set, go for shorter draw, lower poundage, longer limbs.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 01:47:16 am »
I would also Reflex deflex the bow too!
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

bowkee

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 03:22:20 pm »
What Kind of backing may I ask are ya using? I would think Walnut would break by itself ???

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 03:54:37 pm »
And why would you think that.... ???.... O have made two nice Bows from one Stave of Black Walnut....one Sapwood/Heartwood.....one all Heartwood.....and neither one was backed....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline John K

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 04:14:57 pm »
My best shooting bow has about 3" of set  :o Its an Eastern Red Cedar  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

bowkee

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 02:06:48 am »
Thats right, I used that South American Walnut and my bow blew on the tree. I like Black walnut better try some, didn't know it was good for Bows, learn somthing every day. ;)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 11:21:11 am »
once set is in te wood there realy is no way to "fix" it
set comes from the cellulose fibers of the belly wood being crushed
there is no way to rejuvinate these fibers
the only way to prevent set(not that i ever have)is by proper design and tiller for the wood being used
but some set,under 2.5" is my standard,is good.makes for smoother shooting sticks
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd