Author Topic: crown dip.  (Read 6059 times)

Offline mox1968

crown dip.
« on: April 06, 2010, 02:13:02 pm »
was wondering about crown dipping arrows??does it have to be a special type of paint or can you use any kind of paint??was thinking of maybe thinning down some gloss paint I have lying in the shed??

Offline Stoker

Re: crown dip.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:08:18 pm »
You can use just about anything.Just make sure that the paint and arrow finish are compatable with the glue that you will be using
Do a test peice first and glue a fletch on.Gloss may have to be sanded(stuff don't like to stick to most glossy surfaces) I use flat acriylics for most of my crowns and crests.Good luck with your trial
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:27:29 pm »
The most-used dip on "traditional" cedar arrows is probably colored gasket lacquer applied with a dip tube. Almost anything will work though-I've used acrylic paint, spray paint, leather dye, and all sorts of other stuff.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mox1968

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 06:34:39 pm »
ok thanks for the info guys.

Offline riarcher

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 06:51:07 pm »
On POCs I used to stain the pile end back to where I'd start cresting with a dark reddish brown, while leaving the tail end natural. Then crest it. Crest was black w/ gold pinstripes. Then a rubbed couple coats of poly.
Had a lot of compliments on the looks.

From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 11:45:31 pm »
riarcher's comment is important if you want the exact color of your paint. ie. if you stain the shaft and then dip it in white the paint will pull the stain out of the cedar and turn the paint a different color. Sometimes it looks kinda cool but it's NOT white. You can use masking tape to divide the arrow. Measure down to where you want the paint to stop and the stain to begin then put a piece of masking tape around the arrow. Then dip the arrow to the tape and pull it out. Remove the tape after you hang it dry.  I use clothes pins to hang the arrow upside down. It will drip dry and you want the paint fairly thin. If you leave it thick it will have thicker areas with runs. I cut it with paint thinner until it's dripping pretty good then dip the arrows (use an bad shaft to test it). Hang them upside down from a string or clothes line with clothes pins and let them drip dry. Also if you don't keep it thin your nock taper will be too fat from all the paint. If you try and sand it I promise it will not be perfect. Good luck. Have fun. To get it down to a science it takes some trial and error.

Offline karrow

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 09:43:59 pm »
any paint will work i use a latex gloss paint and thin it down alittle with water dip the arrow and hang so the excess paint will drip off works great gives a super smooth finish

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 10:08:13 pm »
When I crown dip I use exterior Bengamin Moore water basaed paint thinned with water to the point that it flows off the arrow when I hang it to dry.  I do 3 coats.  I like it better than 1 thick coat.
Traverse City, MI