Author Topic: Del's Ash Cherry experimental Bow.  (Read 7171 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Del's Ash Cherry experimental Bow.
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 04:04:47 am »
'Lamistave' love it! ;D
Dunno about hand shock, but my tennis elbow doesn't like it....can't wait to have a serious go with it on Sunday.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 04:12:36 am »
pretty respectable FPS there dell, nice work.
i really like your assymetrical front profile grip.  it seems more ergonomic.  been considering doing that myself. how's it feel in the hand?

i always enjoy that New York back alley styled british wall you always show us :)
The grip is quite comfortable, but it's small and blends into the fade so the lower edge of my big fat hand is almost onto the limb, but that's how I designed it.
There's no Grip-Fade-limb it's one organic shape, it needs a bit of tweaking and my hand tends to encroach onto the arrow pass. Not bad for a first attempt at a minimal grip.
If you look at the 'hunting shot' you can see the extra bit of wood I glued in above my thumb  :-[, I might add a bit of leather there too. With grips you need to use 'em until you notice the slight high spots and then tweak 'em very slightly...give it a year, I'll have it right ;).
Del

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 04:39:09 am »
I love it...the back especially!  I love the patterns in the ash.  I do wonder, though...
Center of the stave, just above your hand...is that a crack?
Yeah, that's a crack.  ;D
Just below it, the line is a sliver of Cherry I set in where there was the pithy centre of the log (you can see the almost semicircular growth rings) and a crack where it had seasoned, I could have sawn in deeper and filled more of the crack but I felt it would do more harm than good.
I don't think a longitudinal crack, (especially there) is a problem as there isn't any force acting to open it up (I covered it in epoxy and warmed it with a hot air gun to help it soak in to stabilise it).
This is the 'bad half' of my Cherry and experimental anyway, so it's good to have these flaws, it teaches me what I can get away with. On one limb there's a plugged knot which is completely exposed across the corner of the edge and belly, not ideal at all, but it's holding up.
Remember the Bowyers motto, 'The next one will be even better!'
Del
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:43:37 am by Del the cat »

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 12:38:23 pm »
I'll be curious how the hide glue holds up. :P
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Diligence

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 12:54:26 pm »
Excellent looking bow Del.  Very nice!
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Shadow Walker

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 03:41:37 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about the hide glue holding. I've got a laminated bow I've been trying to get apart over the last couple of days. It's been soaking in water and I still can't get it totally dismantled!
I was just wondering...Are you going to eat that deer? It looks a little stringy to me, and it probably has a strong "woodsy" taste to it!
Very nice work, I like to see those short bows being made. They certainly present different challenges than long bows.

Offline Del the cat

Minor update
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 05:10:39 pm »
I've moved the nocking point as it was a tad low (about half an arrow width).
I rubbed the bow over lightly with wire wool and gave it another wipe of Danish oil, it's looking much nicer, that first coat soaked into those knots and end grain regions.
Tomorrow I'll give it another light rub down, a wipe with beeswax polish then I'll give it a good shooting!
Thanks for all the comments guys, they mean a lot as they are from folk who understand what it's all about.
Del

Offline tdog

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 01:18:12 am »
Neat bow. The wood is beautiful, lots of swirly grain in that ash.
It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)