Author Topic: heat treating questions  (Read 2090 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
heat treating questions
« on: May 12, 2010, 03:04:21 pm »
I have a red oak bow that is nearly done but i would like it to be just a few pounds heavier. I'll either pike it or heat treat it, i have never heat treated a bow so that would be new to me. There is a linen backing glued on with titebond 2, will that matter if i am only heat treating the belly? how many pounds should i expect to increase from heat treating?
45# at 27"

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Re: heat treating questions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 03:16:57 pm »
another question: is there a downside to not getting the whole bow heat treated at the same time?
45# at 27"

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:24:27 pm »
You can treat one area at a time, but most backings will separate with tempering.  An easier solution to getting more poundage would be to strip the backing off and then temper, or to simplify everything and back with hickory or bamboo.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:19:28 pm »
I agree with mackenzie71.  TB2 will soften with heat and to adequately heat treat the belly you need to go slow and get the heat to penetrate deep into the wood.  The result will probably be a separated backing.  You could always try heat treating and then see if you can iron the backing back down, but replacing the backing would be safer.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:45:51 pm »
thanks guys, since the bow is longer than it needs to be i think i'll pike this one, but it is good to know for the furture that titebond will soften.
45# at 27"

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 07:05:35 pm »
Oh, and for the record, I've only ever had the most marginal of luck heat treating red oak boards at all. It seems only the densest pieces will survive it, and none of them seem to gain much- if any- peformance.

Staves of red oak worked better though, even when mostly sapwood ???. No idea why. Just my experience.