Author Topic: Poplar...yeah another one lol  (Read 1890 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Poplar...yeah another one lol
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:19:28 pm »
I've got materials coming for my horsebows...some better materials but I have to wait a little while for them to come in.

In the mean time I want to start another little project.  I'm wanting a softer wood for a core and am thinking poplar.  I want it to be really wide and thin, especially around mid- limb, tapering to pretty narrow, but thick, tips.  There'll be tempered bamboo on the belly and a strip of bamboo along the back, then the limbs above the handle will be wrapped in raw hide.

I love working with red oak but every thin limb I've made with red oak has taken a tremendous amount of set...the bamboo and hide will likely stop it on this one, but I also have concerns with the limb width.  I want it to be nearly 4" wide in the limbs...at least 3".

The bow is going to be mostly decoration and target, 60" end to end (maybe a bit shorter), and I'm hoping for 35~40lbs.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Poplar...yeah another one lol
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:54:10 pm »
Be careful with poplar, makenzie. At best, it is a marginal bow wood.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 07:38:09 pm »
Be careful with poplar, makenzie. At best, it is a marginal bow wood.  Jawge

:D  I'm expecting a marginal bow.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:41:40 pm »
You are capable of more than marginality. I was talking from the standpoint of safety. Sure you can make a bow from it but it does tend to explode unexpectedly. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:16:34 pm »
it takes a hell of a set too jawge , i tried it as a core wood before i knew better. mak i would go with maple jmo