Author Topic: colored novoculite point and one obsidian  (Read 2555 times)

Offline brownhillboy

colored novoculite point and one obsidian
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:29:36 pm »
I haven't been doing much knapping the last couple of weeks, but I got my order from neolithics the other day and managed to find just a little time to do some chippin.  The first pic is the rock I got from neolithics, and the point I made from the colored novoculite is from a flake I knocked off of the first spall I've been working on.  I don't know what name to call it, or even if it resembles an actual point type, but it's what I ended up with. It weighs 96 grains.  The obsidian point is one I made a few weeks ago.  I need to get something that shows the size, shape, and name of the different points.  Thanks for looking!

[attachment deleted by admin]
south central VA

Offline bryan irwin

Re: colored novoculite point and one obsidian
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:47:00 pm »
nice points
bryan irwin

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:19:39 am »
looking good! Tear off into that pile and get some more - your hooked ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 06:52:09 am »
nice work
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 08:35:40 am »
Yep there is no turning back now, well done eh
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 08:48:28 am »
Purdy lookin points.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:56:40 am »
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!
south central VA

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 11:23:31 am »
My friend you are gonna experience a lot of frustration on that box-a-rocks. My suggestion-- Enjoy the ride, and don't be scared of the red liquid that trickles out of your hand. You would have been better off sending them to someone like me, but since you've made the plunge just remember you're learning something that took primitive man thousands of years to master.  ;)

3 Rivers sells a "story in stone" poster that is mighty handy. I don't think it costs more than $10 - $15 and is easy to hang on the wall  in front of where you work. It's not exhaustive by any stretch, but helpful non the less.

Somethin else I learned from these guys, if you start breakin 'em, stop and wait for another day when you are more relaxed, less tense.

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 12:42:37 pm »
Thanks Stringman, that is helpful.  I thought I had seen a poster somewhere.
south central VA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 02:00:28 pm »
 Looking good, look's like you are well on your way to getting hooked. Break that box of rocks up!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 02:40:09 am »

Nice job!!  As for the Obsidian, it isn't straight forward, you only know you have cut yourself, when your hands get sticky, or you see blood dripping on to the floor, or notice the piece you are working on has changed colors....... ;D  As for wether it resembles any authentic point, it does.  You can't make a point that has not been made before.  I made a small point out of broken point, and thought I would just make an original.  Well I thought I did, and set it aside, with some broken, and fat pieces, then looked in the book, the best of the best, and bingo!  There was my original idea, plagiarized, by some Paleo American, a few thousand years ago!  Not only was it identical to the point, but the size was the same.   Heck, maybe I am like Shannon, I have a recessive gene somewhere.  Only, my gene, is in design, not skill. ::)

Wayne

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 02:24:31 pm »
Thanks Wayne, and yeah I figured that every kind of point has been made, I just don't know what all of the names are.  I'm still waiting for that "skill" gene to kick in for me too! ;) ;D
south central VA

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 11:00:29 pm »

Yeah, you have to figure that they had thousands of years to experiment, and reshape broken points, and so forth.  As for the names, some are the same point, with different names, from different regions.  I am with you on that, so I just say that they are my version of a paleo point and let go at that.  If it will penetrate, hide, muscle, bone and such, it is a good point.  Eddie and I were talking yesterday, about point thickness, I like them sort of thin, and tapering thicker at the base, and a thinner area for the arrow shaft, or foreshaft.  My theory is that the somewhat thin point, (with a ridge in the center, I can't think of the term for it), and tapering thicker towards the butt end, will give it strength, from the energy of the shaft slamming into it, and the force on the front is spread out from the back towards the thicker parts, down to the thinner parts, keep it from breaking.  Sort of like the wedge shape of a knife, or axe.  The thicker part is the back.  Eddie's is that the thick point will help bust through ribs.  Take your pick.  I have seen originals, of both kind, and some with a big ridge running the whole length.  Don't know if it was finished or not, or if it was intentionally made that way.  My Dad had some from Ga. that were thick, and looked finished.  If I were going to try to whack one of those big armored water buffalo, I would use a thicker one.  Maybe one of Claude Van Order's triangular spike type of blades.  So like I said, I doubt you can make an original arrow head.  As the saying goes, there's nothing new under the sun!   You will see different types of arrow heads, and such, from different regions, and some will be extremely thin, like the hillsboroughs, here in Florida, and some thicker, wider, narrower, longer, shorter, triangular, rounded, long ovoid shapes, wasp waist, etc.  It was whatever suited their particular purpose.  But just enjoy making them, and then, once you get the display pieces out of the way, start making utilitarian points, for hunting, not for the display case.  Or as i do, it it doesn't look pretty, but is sharp, and and will be fine for hunting, then that is what it is, a hunting point ;D  Eddie said that that's what he is going to do now, just make hunting points.  Said he has enough in cases, but always needs some for hunting, and I would guess trading. 8)

Wayne

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 05:00:53 pm »
Nice work and as mentioned jump into that pile!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill