Author Topic: Wrist and thumb pain while building bows  (Read 10097 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Re: Wrist and thumb pain while building bows
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 02:09:30 am »
Ya bunch of Sissies...I will trade you Wrist and Finger Pains any day....all of Ya....try getting run over at 70 mph...by a Chevy Corsica....kinda smarts...... :o

I've been on fire.  Twice.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 02:15:45 pm »
Ya bunch of Sissies...I will trade you Wrist and Finger Pains any day....all of Ya....try getting run over at 70 mph...by a Chevy Corsica....kinda smarts...... :o

I've been on fire.  Twice.
Once is unfortunate, twice is careless (To miss-quote Oscar Wilde)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 02:32:33 pm »
Twice doing the same thing would be careless...
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 03:02:14 pm »
Twice doing the same thing would be careless...
Yeah, I was just kiddin'... for got to put the big grin smillie face thingy :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 03:24:58 pm »
Scott, not sure if you have the same thing or not but I had real severe pain in my thumb, wrist and index finger for many years when I did certain things. Eventually it got worse and I lost the use of most of my arm. I had to get neck surgery for a piched nerve. I always thought it was my arm. Still have some numbness in my hand but the pain is very mild now. Steve

Offline Scott Gray

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 04:51:20 pm »
Badger,

I tore my left shoulder up at work in 2002 had a couple of screws/anchors put in to reattach a detached labrum. My left shoulder and arm always hurt now.

I just got back from seeing my Doc and he confirmed what I thought. The sheath that hold the tendons going to my thumbs is inflamed causing the thumb to lock up and pop. Kinda like a brake cable on a bike that has no lube. I got a shot, a script' for antiinflamitory drugs and splints to wear when I got to bed. He said rest is the best thing to do now :'(

It sucks too. I got bit by the self bow bug and now won't be able to make one for a while :'( I can still read about 'em though!!!!!

The good news is that I can still shoot my glass bow ;D
Semper Fi

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 06:43:24 pm »
Hi guys, sorry to here of all your pains. It appears some sort of pain is unavoidable in this world. Iwas getting bad pains in the wrist and hands from using tools and still do. But i've seriously improved things by making sure I dont get too tense when working. Usually we hold the tools much harder, with more tension, than we need to!! I've used hand tools for manual work regulary for 25 years, so I know a bit, and staying relaxed is the key. Sound simple but it works.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Scott Gray

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 07:13:13 pm »
Hi guys, sorry to here of all your pains. It appears some sort of pain is unavoidable in this world. Iwas getting bad pains in the wrist and hands from using tools and still do. But i've seriously improved things by making sure I dont get too tense when working. Usually we hold the tools much harder, with more tension, than we need to!! I've used hand tools for manual work regulary for 25 years, so I know a bit, and staying relaxed is the key. Sound simple but it works.

Makes sense to me.
Semper Fi

Offline tombo

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 11:49:15 pm »
I had surgery for De Quervain's 2 months ago! I recommend it, especially if you are losing sleep...like I was.
Look up the  "Finklestein's test" if that hurts, then you have "De Quervains". Tom

Offline Scott Gray

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 01:29:06 pm »
Tom,

Already did the Finklesteins test, and yes it hurts really bad to do it.
Semper Fi

Offline Diligence

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 11:49:44 pm »
Dang - I just did that test and it hurts!  and I don't even have sore wrists.....yikes, what does it feel like if you actually do have a sore wrist.
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.