Author Topic: horse bow question  (Read 12119 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: horse bow question
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 09:47:23 pm »
 The loops on the string are not big enough and if they are not built up,padded, it will cut through the wood. It lok's just like the one that cut the nocks off on my Grozer. I bet it sounds louder when it shoots, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 10:07:56 pm »
   I would guess the brace height could be raised a few twists myself, also as Mullet said the loop looks a bit skinny. Steve

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 10:31:07 pm »
 When you twist that string it will tighten the loops up even more.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Frode

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 10:51:26 pm »
Thank you, O Wise Ones!
I just shot about 20 through it with just the string twisted up 8-10 turns, no problems!  I noticed that the stringer still wanted to pop out easily, so I took the nock file to it, just barely.  Just enough to put a bit of lip back on the hole.  Shot a few more through, strung and unstrung a few times, and it all seems to go a lot better.  El D, the pics helped, thanks, I had nothing prior to compare it to.  Hrothgar, thanks for the tying off tip, I have three on the bench that are right at that stage, and I'm going to try that.
Thanks again everyone!
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Frode

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 11:02:17 pm »
mullet and Badger,
Your posts popped up just as I hit send.  When you say the loops look skinny, do you mean the served area that rests on the shoulder (bridge?) area on the siyah?  Just curious.
I see your points about the twist.  I only twisted enough to get it less tight against the bridge.  It could easily take another 8 turns before the string would raise off the bridge, does this indicate a stretched string?
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 12:00:49 pm »
I think the siyah should have more of a knife edge at the base of the loop. Ideally the string should just touch the bridge and the loop should straddle the siyah with minimal contact. It looks like it could use some fine-tuning.
 The loop could be a bit larger and the siyah tapered a touch. I think the original problem was string stretch though.
 You are right that you can twist an endless string to shorten it before the twist goes up into the loops and starts making them smaller as was mentioned. That is only likely with a Flemish twist.
 This is undoubtedly the reason that most Composite bows with siyahs had a knotted loop string.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 02:09:49 pm »
  You could pad the inside of your nock with a piece of thin leather like James Parker does or build up your serving. A then string serving on my loops is what cut the top off the Siyahs. Like said, just a little fine tuning is needed, the string barely touching the bridge, and I think, JMO the loops need to be a little bigger.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 04:08:21 pm »
I had a Toth Horsebow, but never had problems like this.  I'd guess the string is too short by more than just a twist or ten.  In the "at rest" strung position the siyahs are too "flat" and the string is barely in the notches.  When the string snaps back from being drawn it won't want to stay in the nock.  If the string is shorter, the angle if the siyah will be greater and the string will want to stay in place.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service