Author Topic: Morning Hunt  (Read 2011 times)

Offline chasing crow

Morning Hunt
« on: April 19, 2010, 10:47:11 pm »
Went out turkey hunting for an hour before going to work this morning. 5:45, foggy, 27 deg. and quiet. Saw and heard no turkeys but (of course) had a deer cross creek just East of me and passed within 15 yards to my left. Never knew I was there. Had a great time in the woods, my first self made arrow (poplar shoot, two feather fletch with turkey feather, nocked on my osage selfbow! Can't get much better than that. Can't wait for tomarrow morning.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Morning Hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:15:55 am »
Sounds like a good time,and you are right it don't get much better than that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:47:18 am »
A bunch of my friends ask if I'm going with a bow or a gun.  I tell them I seem to have more fun not getting them with a bow than getting them with the gun.   I feel the same about your quote........."Can't get much better than that. Can't wait for tomarrow morning." 
                 Good luck.........go get um!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:30:57 pm »
Well, it did get a little bit better this morning. Had several roosting within 100 yards. Decided to call low and light. No deal, they flew down into the open field to the North of me. I can't hunt that area. But watched 2 strut with several hens in tow! As before, tomorrow should be good!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:52:57 pm »
learn to call the hens,and not the toms
then when you get in that same situation again,the hens should come and drag them horny ol'toms with them ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:25:43 pm »
Well, ALMOST!!! They were roosted South of me and across the river. When I heard them stirring, I decided to call a little mor agressively. I couldn't see them but it sounded like they flew down on my side. About 5 minutes later a hen came in from my right and passed in front of me within 5 yards, turned and passed left of me 12 yards out and headed across the creek and into the field. Then a deer came in and kept me company for about 15 minutes. All the while the gobblers stayed out (sounded like) 75-100YD out. I needed to get to work and I had to sneak out. I don't think I was detected. I'm going to give this area a couple of days break then try it again. Another great day!